New member

  • Clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
      Greetings and Happy New Year to all!

      I've just joined the list. It's been some years since I read the
      Tolkien trilogy (and even more since I read the Chronicles) but I
      hope to revisit "Lord of the Rings" sometime this year. Screwtape
      I've re-read several times over the years.

      Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
      particular?

      I have a longtime interest in Christian literature and moderate a
      list called ChesterBelloc, devoted to modern Catholic authors. (It's
      recently included postings on "Tolkien's Christmas Star" and this
      business of Oz vs. Narnia). The URL, in case anyone might be
      interested, is:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/ChesterBelloc

      I look forward to the discussions on mythsoc. Looks like a lively
      list.

      Regards,
      Paul Clark
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
        Paul Clark wrote:

        > Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
        > particular?

        Welcome, Paul! My personal favorite of Williams' novels (or at
        least, the one I go back to most often) is DESCENT INTO HELL,
        though I believe others cite ALL HALLOW'S EVE as his best. MANY
        DIMENSIONS and THE GREATER TRUMPS are also good, though none of
        Williams, I'll warn you, is an easy read. And, of course, as
        always, YMMV!

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
          >Paul Clark wrote:
          >
          >> Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
          >> particular?

          I realize my opinion may not be objective, but I am rather fond of The
          Masques of Amen House by Charles Williams (available from the Mythopoeic
          Press, though the Mythopoeic Society website and Amazon.com at
          www.mythsoc.org).

          Joan

          Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
          List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
          MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
            Happy New Year to you, too, and welcome to the list. I'd recommend *The
            Place of the Lion* for Williams. It's his most accessible work.

            I also invite you to consider being a corresponding member for Butterbur's
            Woodshed, a bi-monthly APA. We consider a different fantasy-oriented book
            or topic every other month. You need only write two pages every other issue
            to be considered active! If this sounds interesting contact me off-list and
            I'll send details.

            Welcome---and I look forward to hear more from you. I love Chesterton, but
            I've not read nearly enough Belloc. Suggestions? TTYL. ---djb.

            > I've just joined the list. It's been some years since I read the
            > Tolkien trilogy (and even more since I read the Chronicles) but I
            > hope to revisit "Lord of the Rings" sometime this year. Screwtape
            > I've re-read several times over the years.
            >
            > Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
            > particular?
            >
            > I have a longtime interest in Christian literature and moderate a
            > list called ChesterBelloc, devoted to modern Catholic authors. (It's
            > recently included postings on "Tolkien's Christmas Star" and this
            > business of Oz vs. Narnia). The URL, in case anyone might be
            > interested, is:
            >
            > http://www.egroups.com/group/ChesterBelloc
            >
            > I look forward to the discussions on mythsoc. Looks like a lively
            > list.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Paul Clark

          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
              Paul Clark wrote:

              > Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
              > particular?

              Welcome! Other recommendations noted, but among Williams's novels, I
              think it's generally regarded that the best one to start with is _War in
              Heaven_. _Many Dimensions_ is a close second. _Descent Into Hell_ and
              _All Hallows Eve_ are often thought the best, but one needs to be already
              attuned to Williams's thought to make much out of them.

              Of course, one can get a little of that by reading the "Charles Williams
              novels" by the other Inklings, Lewis's _That Hideous Strength_ and
              Tolkien's _The Notion Club Papers_ (in _Sauron Defeated_).

              David Bratman
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2001
                In a message dated 01/01/2001 8:10:26 AM Central Standard Time,
                dianejoy@... writes:

                > I'd recommend *The
                > Place of the Lion* for Williams. It's his most accessible work.

                Hummm? I'd say WAR IN HEAVEN, myself.

                Mary S
              • Elizabeth Hardy
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Hello everyone,
                  I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter. I may have met some folks at conferences such as the 2003 one in Nashville and at the Witching Hour in 2005 (I presented at each). I am looking forward to chatting with everyone any time when I am not floundering under a pile of ungraded research papers, building train tracks with my son, or reading proofs for my husband, who is a writer and historian.
                  Elizabeth

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

                    Berni

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Thanks for the welcome! The storytelling and historic interpreting go together sometimes. My place and period is 1850s-1870s Appalachia. I dress as a woman from that time period (along with my family), and we volunteer at museums, schools, and other programs to help people better understand history. It's a wonderful way to better appreciate the past and to teach others about it.

                      Berni Phillips <bernip@...> wrote: Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

                      Berni

                      >From: Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...>

                      > I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter.

                      Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report