Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis vs. LF Baum

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
      In a message dated 12/28/2000 11:21:21 PM Central Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > It's hard not to suspect that she's looking down at
      > his fondness for puns.

      Shouldn't that be "looking down =on=," David? (speaking of prose)

      As for the prose of Narnia, I think you have a point. Lewis =said= that
      children's stories should be adapted for reading aloud, but there are long
      double-jointed clauses and parentheses in many sentences in the CHRONICLES
      which would, I think, be difficult to put across.

      Last night was thinking about this article and felt that the impeachment of
      American fantasy as more light-minded than British was unfair - does this
      woman think that HARRY POTTER, or WILLY WONKA, have profound moral and
      stylistic depths? Yah, right.

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
        This Salon article is featured on one of AOL's subscriber pages - a
        miscellany called LIFE, The Lighter Side of News. Go figure.

        This time the picture came up on the Salon page and it is the D***dest thing,
        I don't even know what it's supposed to signify.

        <A HREF="http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/12/28/baum/index.html">
        http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/12/28/baum/index.html</A>

        Mary S
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
          Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
          > This Salon article is featured on one of AOL's subscriber pages - a
          > miscellany called LIFE, The Lighter Side of News. Go figure.
          >
          > This time the picture came up on the Salon page and it is the D***dest thing,
          > I don't even know what it's supposed to signify.

          I would think it is Aslan punching out the Cowardly Lion, since as we know,
          Narnia is so superior to Oz. Just ask the article's author. <g>

          "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
          clothes."
          --Desiderius Erasmus
          Currently reading: Faith and Wealth by Justo Gonzalez
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
            For me, the interesting thing about the _Salon_ article is that it's just one
            more piece of evidence that there are people there who think that fantasy is
            just as important as mainstream fiction. There are certainly mistakes and
            odd opinions in the article, but at least they are willing to discuss fantasy
            (even children's fantasy) on the same level as other fiction. Remember,
            _Salon_ is the magazine where they have a bunch of Tolkien fans.