Re: [mythsoc] Magical Christmas gifts!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
      Great post from someone on another List wh I pass along:

      >>Santa left broomsticks at our house. They are the old fashioned, round,
      handmade kind, and we put engraved name plates on the handle-- Firebolt,
      Nimbus 2000, Nimbus 2001, and Cleansweep 950. We spraypainted the straws
      gold or silver or bronze, as matched their rank.

      >> At 5:12 am we heard the shout "A Firebolt! I got a Firebolt! Mom!
      Mom!
      Santa left me a Firebolt" I swear she didn't touch one step on the way up
      to show us!

      And another:

      > The Atlantic has an article this month about the laboratories where natural
      > and artificial flavors are manufactured
      > (http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/01/schlosser.htm). A snippet:
      >
      > "Many of today's highly processed foods offer a blank palette: whatever
      > chemicals are added to them will give them specific tastes. Adding
      > methyl-2-pyridyl ketone makes something taste like popcorn. Adding
      > ethyl-3-hydroxy butanoate makes it taste like marshmallow. The
      possibilities
      > are now almost limitless. Without affecting appearance or nutritional
      value,
      > processed foods could be made with aroma chemicals such as hexanal (the
      > smell of freshly cut grass) or 3-methyl butanoic acid (the smell of body
      > odor)."
      >
      > So you see, Mary, it could get worse.

      Mary S
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
        From: <Stolzi@...>

        > Tuesday night we ran taste tests on the Every Flavor Jelly Beans.

        Ye're a braver woman than I am, Mary Stolzenbach!

        > We had buttered toast, toasted marshmallow, black pepper, various fruits
        (the
        > watermelon has a green coat and a red inside!), and did find a Booger
        Flavor
        > one and it did taste like boogers (salt, mostly, and the inside of your
        > nose). But far more revolting than that was the Sardine flavor. That is
        > horrid jolt in something sweet!
        >
        > We did not find a Vomit Flavor and I really, really don't want to know
        about
        > it.

        You lost me at the black pepper! The real thing causes an extremely
        uncomfortable burning sensation in my mouth that I suspect is not what most
        people get from a little amount of pepper.

        Berni
      • James P. Robinson III
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
          Does anyone know a good source for Harry Potter t-shirts and sweatshirts
          (adult sixes, of course)? I have had trouble finding them.

          Jim
        • James P. Robinson III
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
            Sorry, that should have been "sizes".

            As the clock struck 04:46 PM 12/27/2000 -0600, James P. Robinson III took

          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
              In a message dated 12/27/2000 5:50:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              jprobins@... writes:

              << Does anyone know a good source for Harry Potter t-shirts and sweatshirts
              (adult sixes, of course)? I have had trouble finding them. >>

              The Warner Bros. store in my mall had all sorts of HP stuff. Do you have a
              WB store near you?

              Lizzie