Re: [mythsoc] Magical Christmas gifts!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
      Tuesday night we ran taste tests on the Every Flavor Jelly Beans. Since this
      involved cutting each one we tasted into four bits so all could have a go, I
      was really impressed by the amount of realistic flavor (on nearly every type)
      Jelly Belly has packed into tiny compass. I bet it was a coveted assignment
      to run R&D on this project!

      We had buttered toast, toasted marshmallow, black pepper, various fruits (the
      watermelon has a green coat and a red inside!), and did find a Booger Flavor
      one and it did taste like boogers (salt, mostly, and the inside of your
      nose). But far more revolting than that was the Sardine flavor. That is a
      horrid jolt in something sweet!

      We did not find a Vomit Flavor and I really, really don't want to know about
      it.

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
        Great post from someone on another List wh I pass along:

        >>Santa left broomsticks at our house. They are the old fashioned, round,
        handmade kind, and we put engraved name plates on the handle-- Firebolt,
        Nimbus 2000, Nimbus 2001, and Cleansweep 950. We spraypainted the straws
        gold or silver or bronze, as matched their rank.

        >> At 5:12 am we heard the shout "A Firebolt! I got a Firebolt! Mom!
        Mom!
        Santa left me a Firebolt" I swear she didn't touch one step on the way up
        to show us!

        And another:

        > The Atlantic has an article this month about the laboratories where natural
        > and artificial flavors are manufactured
        > (http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/01/schlosser.htm). A snippet:
        >
        > "Many of today's highly processed foods offer a blank palette: whatever
        > chemicals are added to them will give them specific tastes. Adding
        > methyl-2-pyridyl ketone makes something taste like popcorn. Adding
        > ethyl-3-hydroxy butanoate makes it taste like marshmallow. The
        possibilities
        > are now almost limitless. Without affecting appearance or nutritional
        value,
        > processed foods could be made with aroma chemicals such as hexanal (the
        > smell of freshly cut grass) or 3-methyl butanoic acid (the smell of body
        > odor)."
        >
        > So you see, Mary, it could get worse.

        Mary S
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
          From: <Stolzi@...>

          > Tuesday night we ran taste tests on the Every Flavor Jelly Beans.

          Ye're a braver woman than I am, Mary Stolzenbach!

          > We had buttered toast, toasted marshmallow, black pepper, various fruits
          (the
          > watermelon has a green coat and a red inside!), and did find a Booger
          Flavor
          > one and it did taste like boogers (salt, mostly, and the inside of your
          > nose). But far more revolting than that was the Sardine flavor. That is
          > horrid jolt in something sweet!
          >
          > We did not find a Vomit Flavor and I really, really don't want to know
          about
          > it.

          You lost me at the black pepper! The real thing causes an extremely
          uncomfortable burning sensation in my mouth that I suspect is not what most
          people get from a little amount of pepper.

          Berni
        • James P. Robinson III
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
            Does anyone know a good source for Harry Potter t-shirts and sweatshirts
            (adult sixes, of course)? I have had trouble finding them.

            Jim
          • James P. Robinson III
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
              Sorry, that should have been "sizes".

              As the clock struck 04:46 PM 12/27/2000 -0600, James P. Robinson III took

            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
                In a message dated 12/27/2000 5:50:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                jprobins@... writes:

                << Does anyone know a good source for Harry Potter t-shirts and sweatshirts
                (adult sixes, of course)? I have had trouble finding them. >>

                The Warner Bros. store in my mall had all sorts of HP stuff. Do you have a
                WB store near you?

                Lizzie