Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Sad news from The London Times]

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2000
      Mary S wrote, long ago while I was out of the country, in response to Ted
      Sherman's posting of the London _Times_ obituary of Rayner Unwin:

      >too bad this obit doesn't mention Rayner as the child reader who gave
      Tolkien
      >the initial thumbs up...

      It disappointed me, too, that the _Times_ passed by this aspect of Rayner's
      life with no more than a mention of Tolkien among Allen & Unwin's
      "outstanding authors". But other obituaries played up the Tolkien
      connection rather more, and one could argue very successfully that Rayner
      did a great deal other than publish Tolkien. He was also, quietly and
      modestly, one of the major promoters of the British publishing industry in
      the last half of the 20th century.

      One paper that emphasized the Tolkien connection was the _Los Angeles
      Times_, and they got it horribly wrong, confusing Rayner's report on _The
      Hobbit_ ("This book . . . should appeal to all children between the ages of
      5 and 9") with his much later note that publishing _The Lord of the Rings_
      might lose Allen & Unwin a thousand pounds!

      Wayne Hammond