Magical Christmas gifts!

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 25, 2000
      *...and I got paperbacks of The Golden Compass and Harry Potter and the
      Chamber of Secrets (so I can find out what everyone else is talking
      about!). :-)

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 25, 2000
        I bought myself the Harry Potter ornament (of the first book), the Hermione
        magic box for a friend, and one of the picture frames for a sister.

        For my best beloved, I got the Dr. Seuss "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue
        Fish" ornament.

        Berni

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
          Tuesday night we ran taste tests on the Every Flavor Jelly Beans. Since this
          involved cutting each one we tasted into four bits so all could have a go, I
          was really impressed by the amount of realistic flavor (on nearly every type)
          Jelly Belly has packed into tiny compass. I bet it was a coveted assignment
          to run R&D on this project!

          We had buttered toast, toasted marshmallow, black pepper, various fruits (the
          watermelon has a green coat and a red inside!), and did find a Booger Flavor
          one and it did taste like boogers (salt, mostly, and the inside of your
          nose). But far more revolting than that was the Sardine flavor. That is a
          horrid jolt in something sweet!

          We did not find a Vomit Flavor and I really, really don't want to know about
          it.

          Mary S
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
            Great post from someone on another List wh I pass along:

            >>Santa left broomsticks at our house. They are the old fashioned, round,
            handmade kind, and we put engraved name plates on the handle-- Firebolt,
            Nimbus 2000, Nimbus 2001, and Cleansweep 950. We spraypainted the straws
            gold or silver or bronze, as matched their rank.

            >> At 5:12 am we heard the shout "A Firebolt! I got a Firebolt! Mom!
            Mom!
            Santa left me a Firebolt" I swear she didn't touch one step on the way up
            to show us!

            And another:

            > The Atlantic has an article this month about the laboratories where natural
            > and artificial flavors are manufactured
            > (http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/01/schlosser.htm). A snippet:
            >
            > "Many of today's highly processed foods offer a blank palette: whatever
            > chemicals are added to them will give them specific tastes. Adding
            > methyl-2-pyridyl ketone makes something taste like popcorn. Adding
            > ethyl-3-hydroxy butanoate makes it taste like marshmallow. The
            possibilities
            > are now almost limitless. Without affecting appearance or nutritional
            value,
            > processed foods could be made with aroma chemicals such as hexanal (the
            > smell of freshly cut grass) or 3-methyl butanoic acid (the smell of body
            > odor)."
            >
            > So you see, Mary, it could get worse.

            Mary S
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
              From: <Stolzi@...>

              > Tuesday night we ran taste tests on the Every Flavor Jelly Beans.

              Ye're a braver woman than I am, Mary Stolzenbach!

              > We had buttered toast, toasted marshmallow, black pepper, various fruits
              (the
              > watermelon has a green coat and a red inside!), and did find a Booger
              Flavor
              > one and it did taste like boogers (salt, mostly, and the inside of your
              > nose). But far more revolting than that was the Sardine flavor. That is
              > horrid jolt in something sweet!
              >
              > We did not find a Vomit Flavor and I really, really don't want to know
              about
              > it.

              You lost me at the black pepper! The real thing causes an extremely
              uncomfortable burning sensation in my mouth that I suspect is not what most
              people get from a little amount of pepper.

              Berni
            • James P. Robinson III
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
                Does anyone know a good source for Harry Potter t-shirts and sweatshirts
                (adult sixes, of course)? I have had trouble finding them.

                Jim
              • James P. Robinson III
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
                  Sorry, that should have been "sizes".

                  As the clock struck 04:46 PM 12/27/2000 -0600, James P. Robinson III took

                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
                    In a message dated 12/27/2000 5:50:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    jprobins@... writes:

                    << Does anyone know a good source for Harry Potter t-shirts and sweatshirts
                    (adult sixes, of course)? I have had trouble finding them. >>

                    The Warner Bros. store in my mall had all sorts of HP stuff. Do you have a
                    WB store near you?

                    Lizzie