CATE BLANCHETT TACKLES NEW QUEEN

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2000
      CATE BLANCHETT TACKLES NEW QUEEN

      Cate Blanchett, who received an Oscar nomination for playing Elizabeth,
      told
      SCI FI Wire that it's a completely different thing playing the queen of the
      elves in the upcoming Lord of the Rings film trilogy. "Oh, the queen of the
      elves was a very different queen [from] Elizabeth. You'll see," Blanchett
      said during a press briefing for her upcoming supernatural thriller, The
      Gift. Blanchett plays Galadriel in Peter Jackson's upcoming movies, which
      are based on J.R.R. Tolkien's three novels of the same name.

      "It was uncharted territory for me," Blanchett said. "I've never done
      anything with blue screen before, or prosthetics, or anything like that.
      *..
      Filming The Lord of the Rings was like stepping into a video game for me.
      It
      was another world. ... I basically did it so I could have the [elf] ears. I
      loved the ears. And they were so sweet. They actually made little bronze
      castings of my ears for me to take. Which was great. I loved all of that
      stuff. ... And filmmaking is, no matter what genre you're working in, ...
      creating fantasy for an audience."

      Blanchett, an Australian who has mastered American accents for her various
      films, said it was an entirely new challenge developing an elvish accent
      for
      Rings. "Elves do not exist," she said. "So how does an elf speak? And
      Tolkien wrote a language. He wrote elvish. And there are, to my
      astonishment, ... elvish experts, people who speak fluent elvish. And ... I
      actually speak elvish in the thing. It's beautiful. It's sort of like Welsh
      and a very sort of melange of various Celtic languages. That was fantastic
      too."

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists