Movie Recommendation

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2000
      Last night son and wife took us to see CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON

      Excellent!!! if a bit lengthy.

      This Ang Lee film is to conventional Kung Fu movies what LORD OF THE RINGS is
      to conventional sword & sorcery. It is sad, lyrical, dazzling, mystical,
      and other things as well.
      If you have any interest in Chinese culture it is specially attractive. I
      feel like going back again just to concentrate on the backgrounds, costumes,
      etc. It is subtitled but you won't mind.

      Mary S
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2000
        This movie has been getting wonderful reviews. The reviewer on Good Morning
        America (Joel something?) put it on his list of top ten films of the year
        last week, and this week said he thought it could very well be the best
        movie of the year.

        But, sigh, we're still waiting for it to hit Omaha. With the closing of one
        excellent several-screen theater last year, we're now left with only one
        theater that shows films other than the ones that get big media hype.
        Pretty bad for a metro area of about 400,000.

        In the meantime, I'm making do with the soundtrack. Not only is the music
        outstanding (including cello solos by Yo-Yo Ma)--the titles of many of the
        tracks are making me even more impatient for the film: "The Eternal Vow,"
        "Silk Road," "In the Old Temple," "Yearning of the Sword."

        It's surprising how much I'm looking forward to it, considering I've gone to
        only two movies in a theater over the past five years (guess it's partly my
        fault that theater closed). I'd be interested in other group members'
        opinions on it--but no "spoilers," please, unless they're marked!

        -- Trudy