Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Tolkien Question]

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
      Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:

      >Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
      >there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
      >in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
      >as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
      >it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.

      Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I went
      home for lunch. Tolkien's _Beowulf_ translation is in the unrestricted, not
      the restricted, portion of the Bodleian papers -- meaning that anyone who
      meets the Bodleian's entry requirements can ask (preferably in advance) to
      see it -- and the scholar I was thinking of is working on Tolkien's British
      Academy lecture on _Beowulf_ ("Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics"), not
      on his translation of the poem.

      Happy Holidays, everyone.

      Wayne Hammond
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
        From: "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...>

        > Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:
        >
        > Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I
        went
        > home for lunch.

        Aren't wives wonderful? Everyone should have one.

        The Bratwife