Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Tolkien Question]

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
      Thanks, Wayne.

      Ted

      "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

      > Ted Sherman wrote:
      >
      > >> Do any of you know if in any of JRRT's unpublished papers he had
      > >> attempted a translation of Beowulf? I know there's no published
      > >> translation of Beowulf by him, though there are snippets here and there
      > >> in various essays (On Translating Beowulf; Beowulf: The Monsters and the
      > >> Critics; and a couple others). But what I'm interested in are the
      > >> unpublished manuscript materials at the Wade and Bodleian.
      >
      > Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
      > there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
      > in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
      > as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
      > it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.
      >
      > Wayne Hammond

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
        Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:

        >Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
        >there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
        >in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
        >as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
        >it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.

        Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I went
        home for lunch. Tolkien's _Beowulf_ translation is in the unrestricted, not
        the restricted, portion of the Bodleian papers -- meaning that anyone who
        meets the Bodleian's entry requirements can ask (preferably in advance) to
        see it -- and the scholar I was thinking of is working on Tolkien's British
        Academy lecture on _Beowulf_ ("Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics"), not
        on his translation of the poem.

        Happy Holidays, everyone.

        Wayne Hammond
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
          From: "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...>

          > Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:
          >
          > Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I
          went
          > home for lunch.

          Aren't wives wonderful? Everyone should have one.

          The Bratwife