Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Tolkien Question]

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
      Ted Sherman wrote:

      >> Do any of you know if in any of JRRT's unpublished papers he had
      >> attempted a translation of Beowulf? I know there's no published
      >> translation of Beowulf by him, though there are snippets here and there
      >> in various essays (On Translating Beowulf; Beowulf: The Monsters and the
      >> Critics; and a couple others). But what I'm interested in are the
      >> unpublished manuscript materials at the Wade and Bodleian.

      Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
      there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
      in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
      as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
      it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.

      Wayne Hammond
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
        Thanks, Wayne.

        Ted

        "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

        > Ted Sherman wrote:
        >
        > >> Do any of you know if in any of JRRT's unpublished papers he had
        > >> attempted a translation of Beowulf? I know there's no published
        > >> translation of Beowulf by him, though there are snippets here and there
        > >> in various essays (On Translating Beowulf; Beowulf: The Monsters and the
        > >> Critics; and a couple others). But what I'm interested in are the
        > >> unpublished manuscript materials at the Wade and Bodleian.
        >
        > Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
        > there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
        > in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
        > as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
        > it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.
        >
        > Wayne Hammond

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
          Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:

          >Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
          >there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
          >in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
          >as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
          >it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.

          Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I went
          home for lunch. Tolkien's _Beowulf_ translation is in the unrestricted, not
          the restricted, portion of the Bodleian papers -- meaning that anyone who
          meets the Bodleian's entry requirements can ask (preferably in advance) to
          see it -- and the scholar I was thinking of is working on Tolkien's British
          Academy lecture on _Beowulf_ ("Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics"), not
          on his translation of the poem.

          Happy Holidays, everyone.

          Wayne Hammond
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
            From: "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...>

            > Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:
            >
            > Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I
            went
            > home for lunch.

            Aren't wives wonderful? Everyone should have one.

            The Bratwife