[Fwd: Tolkien Question]

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000

      --
      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
        Ted Sherman wrote:

        >> Do any of you know if in any of JRRT's unpublished papers he had
        >> attempted a translation of Beowulf? I know there's no published
        >> translation of Beowulf by him, though there are snippets here and there
        >> in various essays (On Translating Beowulf; Beowulf: The Monsters and the
        >> Critics; and a couple others). But what I'm interested in are the
        >> unpublished manuscript materials at the Wade and Bodleian.

        Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
        there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
        in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
        as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
        it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.

        Wayne Hammond
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
          Thanks, Wayne.

          Ted

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
            Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:

            >Tolkien did work on his own Modern English version of _Beowulf_, and
            >there's relevant manuscript material in the Bodleian Library. However this
            >in the restricted section of the Tolkien papers which needs Tolkien Estate
            >as well as Bodleian approval for use. At least one scholar has made use of
            >it, and I understand has permission to pursue the subject further.

            Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I went
            home for lunch. Tolkien's _Beowulf_ translation is in the unrestricted, not
            the restricted, portion of the Bodleian papers -- meaning that anyone who
            meets the Bodleian's entry requirements can ask (preferably in advance) to
            see it -- and the scholar I was thinking of is working on Tolkien's British
            Academy lecture on _Beowulf_ ("Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics"), not
            on his translation of the poem.

            Happy Holidays, everyone.

            Wayne Hammond
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
              From: "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...>

              > Earlier today I wrote, in reply to Ted Sherman's query:
              >
              > Sorry, my memory failed on two points, but my wife corrected me when I
              went
              > home for lunch.

              Aren't wives wonderful? Everyone should have one.

              The Bratwife