Re: [mythsoc] Atheist's companions

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2000
      From: <intyalin@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 7:05 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Compass and Knife

      > Diane Joy Baker wrote:
      > > ("An atheist [or > anti-theist] should be careful of the company
      > he keeps." ---JRRT) ---djb.
      >
      > I don't recall seeing this excellent quote by JRRT before.
      > Could you tell me where it's from? Many thanks. JRRT
      > is, of course, absolutely right!
      >

      > - Kevin (Intyalin)

      I'm not sure where it is; I seem to remember that it might have been
      something JRRT said to CSL, and that it was included in CSL's account of how
      he became a Christian. Now, if only I could remember the title---then I
      could look it up! Aarrgghh, I hate getting old! My memory is like a
      coulander, but somehow this phrase stuck. Perhaps someone with a better
      memory can help? (JRRT might well have been quoting someone else not
      named.) Thanks!

      > "The atheist staring from his attic window is often nearer to God
      > than the believer caught up in his own false image of God."
      > - Martin Buber

      P. S. Interesting quote from Buber. ---djb.

    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2000
        I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the quote is from CS Lewis and it's in
        Surprised by Joy. I'll check on it later today and report back, unless someone
        else beats me to it.

        Ted

        PS: By the way, the next issue of Mythlore is at the mailing agent and should
        enter the postal system this week. There was a lengthy delay at the printer, who
        had the material from mid-October to just after Thanksgiving!

        Diane Joy Baker wrote:

> [...]

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2000
          > I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the quote is from CS Lewis and it's
          in
          > Surprised by Joy. I'll check on it later today and report back, unless
          someone
          > else beats me to it.
          >
          > Ted
          >
          > PS: By the way, the next issue of Mythlore is at the mailing agent and
          should
          > enter the postal system this week. There was a lengthy delay at the
          printer, who
          > had the material from mid-October to just after Thanksgiving!

          Thanks for the response; I feel sure you're right, as I read SPJ a while
          back, and feel sure that must have been where I saw it. Thanks, too, for
          the note on Mythlore. Ouch! quite a delay for the printer. ---djb.