CHRISTOPHER LEE TALKS LORDS OF THE RINGS

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2000
      CHRISTOPHER LEE TALKS LORDS OF THE RINGS

      Veteran actor Christopher Lee has been talking again about his work in the
      upcoming Lord of the Rings trilogy.

      While talking to the London Sunday Times (via Empire Online), Lee spoke of
      his role of the wizard Saruman in the coming films, saying, "He's more than
      just a wizard. They are immortals. But they are human-shaped. They're
      called
      the istari. They are immortal. They are maiar. They are sent by the valar,
      who are the creators, to Middle Earth. There are three wizards to concern
      yourself with, and I am number one: the most powerful. The most brilliant.
      The one of the greatest strength: Saruman, the White."

      Lee adds, "The point is, power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts
      absolutely,
      famous phrase, and that's what happens to him. He's meant to be the white
      wizard, but it comes out that he's gone to the dark side. That's all in the
      book. That's all in the film. And that's all I can tell you."

      More generally, regarding the films to come, Lee says, "I want to live long
      enough to see all of the Lord Of The Rings films come out - that's 2003, by
      which time I'll be 81."
      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists