Re: [mythsoc] Ents in Disneyland?

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2000
      From: David S. Bratman <dbratman@...>
      To: <mythsoc@...>
      Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2000 9:58 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] LORD OF THE RINGS WILL LOOK RICH

      > On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Ian McKellen wrote:
      >
      > > "When I first walked into [the] Rivendell [set], I gasped," McKellen
      wrote.
      > > "It was like being inside a huge, three-dimensional Lee painting; the
      sort
      > > of thrill that movie theme parks aim for. The largest of the Wellington
      > > [New
      > > Zealand] studios had grown an autumnal forest glade of large fiberglass
      > > trunks and tangled canvas roots; a Japanese-style bridge spanned the
      > > electrified waterfall splashing into a pool. ... The elves' headquarters
      > > grew out of the vegetation, slim wooden pillars supporting walkways
      above
      > > open spaces and shaded arcades. ..."
      >
      > I appreciate the encouraging sentiment, BUT ... I feel more worried than
      > encouraged by this.
      >
      > The richness and delight of Tolkien's world is a fragile, elven one: like
      > fairy gold, it turns to dust when it is stolen away, as any number of
      > Tolkien-imitation novelists have proven. Nor are good intentions enough,
      > as Pat Murphy showed with her artificial homage _There and Back Again_.
      >
      > With this context in mind, my concern is that fiberglass trunks, even if
      > they're visually indistinguishable from real trees, will give off the
      > intangible air of Disneyland, where fiberglass is the natural species,
      > and not that of Rivendell, where fiberglass is unknown.

      I rather got the same sentiment; I also wondered about the Japanese bridge.
      I doubt very much if the elves have any affinities for Japanese culture,
      since they cannot have seen it, and figure the set designers are not
      creative enough to think in terms beyond the obvious. Japanese bridges are
      beautiful, but in Japan or the Rockefeller Gardens in New York, please. Not
      in Middle Earth, which would have their own technological developments.

      > My fears are increased by McKellen's description of "the sort of thrill
      > that movie theme parks aim for." I don't want the sort of thrill that
      > movie theme parks aim for. I want the sort of thrill that Tolkien aimed
      > for. They are entirely different, and it's a very bad sign when someone
      > does not realize that difference.

      You have said this so well. I enjoy Disneyland on its own merits, but
      certainly think that the idea of fiberglass trees would anger the Ents to no
      end! I don't want a mock-up of Bag End built at Disneyland. Let's hope
      that the camera captures the magic, rather than the fibereglass. ---djb

    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2000
        dianejoy@... wrote...

        >I enjoy Disneyland on its own merits, but
        >certainly think that the idea of fiberglass trees would anger the Ents to
        >no
        >end! I don't want a mock-up of Bag End built at Disneyland. Let's hope
        >that the camera captures the magic, rather than the fiberglass.

        A couple of comments on this:

        1. I looked up the website photos of Bag End that were recommended earlier.
        I was very much impressed. I agree with Berni that they appeared to be true
        hobbit holes/homes.

        2. When I visited the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine sets, when the show was
        still being filmed, I was very much surprised to see how papier-mache
        everything looked, up close. Obviously fake! But on the screen, it all
        appears real and futuristic to me. So I have hope that the fiberglass trees
        won't appear artificial on screen, either.

        Joan

        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
        List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
        MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists