RYS-DAVIES HAPPY WITH DWARF ROLE

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      RYS-DAVIES HAPPY WITH DWARF ROLE

      John Rhys-Davies, who plays Gimli the dwarf in Peter Jackson's upcoming
      film
      trilogy, The Lord of the Rings, told E! Online that he's happy to be part
      of
      the historic project, even though he must endure heavy makeup. "My skin
      reacts to the makeup, so I have to go home and hide for two or three days
      afterward," the veteran character actor told the site. "It's ruined my
      social life."

      About his character, Rhys-Davies said, "There is in Gimli a great
      simplicity. He's never envious. There's a goodness in him, and he
      recognizes
      it in others, especially the hobbits. His line is a simple one: We know
      it's
      evil, it's our job, let's go and do it. He understands it's his role to
      protect the hobbits."

      One of the films' greatest challenges was depicting different species of
      different sizes interacting, Rhys-Davies said. "As a dwarf, I'm taller than
      the hobbits, but shorter than the elves and the humans. Most of my shots
      tend to be in close-up, looking up [at a human or an elf] or down [at a
      hobbit]." The actor had three scale doubles to fill in for group shots with
      the Fellowship of the Ring and long-distance battle scenes, but he performs
      his own close-up battle shots.

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists