INTERVIEW WITH LORD OF THE RINGS EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      INTERVIEW WITH LORD OF THE RINGS EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

      E! Online spoke with LOTR Executive Producer Barrie Osborne:

      What is Jackson like as a director?
      We were on top of Mount Olympus, which has these weird rock
      formations--almost like the Easter Island statues--filming a Fellowship
      scene. Anyway, the clouds moved in, and the safety officers said we
      couldn't
      film. Peter and I got into the helicopter, looked for another location and
      filmed a totally different scene in the pouring rain. That's what it is to
      work with Peter Jackson. He's so tireless, even a storm isn't a reason to
      throw in the towel. But he's a responsible director, and that's why the
      project isn't out of control.

      How does he compare with other directors you've worked with?

      Some directors, like the Wachowski Brothers, work within very tight
      frameworks of how the movie will look and what the performances will be.
      Every scene in The Matrix was storyboarded, because in their films, the
      genre and style tell the story. Then there are directors like Coppola, who
      encourage the actors to come in with thoughts and ideas and love the
      spontaneity of creating something right there. Jackson is a lot like
      Coppola
      in that respect.

      They also share a tendency toward big facial hair...

      Yeah! [Laughs.] And Peter encourages the cast to read the books as well as
      the script and come in with ideas and meet with him and Fran [Walsh] and
      Philippa [Boyens, screenwriters] to prepare for upcoming scenes. I like
      that
      style, though it means I have to be more open to flexibility.

      What's been your favorite actor moment?

      We're blessed with a wonderful cast, and working with them is a real
      pleasure. Watching the dedication of Viggo Mortensen is really inspiring.
      He
      is Aragorn. One time I wanted to film the sunrise and sunset for a
      Fellowship scene. Viggo said, "I'll just camp out," and pretty soon, we had
      everyone there--the makeup crew, Orlando Bloom and other cast members who
      weren't in the shot, like Miranda Otto and Bernard Hill. We made a big
      fire,
      camped out, filmed our early sunrise shot and went fishing. It was great!
      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists