Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Sad news from The London Times]

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2000
      too bad this obit doesn't mention Rayner as the child reader who gave Tolkien
      the initial thumbs up...

      Mary S
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2000
        Mary S wrote, long ago while I was out of the country, in response to Ted
        Sherman's posting of the London _Times_ obituary of Rayner Unwin:

        >too bad this obit doesn't mention Rayner as the child reader who gave
        Tolkien
        >the initial thumbs up...

        It disappointed me, too, that the _Times_ passed by this aspect of Rayner's
        life with no more than a mention of Tolkien among Allen & Unwin's
        "outstanding authors". But other obituaries played up the Tolkien
        connection rather more, and one could argue very successfully that Rayner
        did a great deal other than publish Tolkien. He was also, quietly and
        modestly, one of the major promoters of the British publishing industry in
        the last half of the 20th century.

        One paper that emphasized the Tolkien connection was the _Los Angeles
        Times_, and they got it horribly wrong, confusing Rayner's report on _The
        Hobbit_ ("This book . . . should appeal to all children between the ages of
        5 and 9") with his much later note that publishing _The Lord of the Rings_
        might lose Allen & Unwin a thousand pounds!

        Wayne Hammond