[Fwd: Sad news from The London Times]

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2000
      This was forwarded to me by Doug Anderson.

      Ted

      --
      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2000
        too bad this obit doesn't mention Rayner as the child reader who gave Tolkien
        the initial thumbs up...

        Mary S
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2000
          Mary S wrote, long ago while I was out of the country, in response to Ted
          Sherman's posting of the London _Times_ obituary of Rayner Unwin:

          >too bad this obit doesn't mention Rayner as the child reader who gave
          Tolkien
          >the initial thumbs up...

          It disappointed me, too, that the _Times_ passed by this aspect of Rayner's
          life with no more than a mention of Tolkien among Allen & Unwin's
          "outstanding authors". But other obituaries played up the Tolkien
          connection rather more, and one could argue very successfully that Rayner
          did a great deal other than publish Tolkien. He was also, quietly and
          modestly, one of the major promoters of the British publishing industry in
          the last half of the 20th century.

          One paper that emphasized the Tolkien connection was the _Los Angeles
          Times_, and they got it horribly wrong, confusing Rayner's report on _The
          Hobbit_ ("This book . . . should appeal to all children between the ages of
          5 and 9") with his much later note that publishing _The Lord of the Rings_
          might lose Allen & Unwin a thousand pounds!

          Wayne Hammond