New angle on Harry--and Amazon?

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2000
      As a hybrid science/fantasy person, thought I'd share this --
      The current on-line issue of New Scientist contains a short piece on "How Harry Potter Can Change the Climate".

      It quotes an article entitled "Harry Potter and the health of the environment" in the October issue of IEEE Spectrum magazine as saying the more than a quarter million copies of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire delivered by Amazon.com in the U.S. last year set a record for on-line orders. Each copy used 400 grams of packaging that would end up in the landfills, which is enough to alarm those concerned about the environmental impact of e-commerce, "...not to mention all the carbon dioxide emitted by planes and trucks that deliver the goods."

      The final paragraph reads, "While online ordering does mean that Mom doesn't have to drive a gas-guzzling car to the mall to get her kid (or herself) a copy of the novel, the overall impact is unknown and quite possibly negative. The paper concludes: 'While Harry Potter cannot be branded as the primary contributor to global climate change, the net effect of the current e-commerce systems is unclear.'"
      Makes the neighborhood book store sound even better, doesn't it?
      I thought it was particularly interesting that even a scientific journal acknowledges that adults are buying the books for themselves as well as their kids.

      -- Trudy Shaw