New discussion list

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2000
      Let me first say that I am not making this announcement as the Society's
      Discussion Group Secretary, but just as a 'Joe Reader.'

      Anyway, I've been reading Kage Baker's 'The Company' stories and novels since
      they first started appearing in 'Asimov's' back in 1997, (I think that's the
      date of the first story), and I've been loving them. Her work is not 'great
      literature' or anything like that, but I find the stories captivating and
      can't wait for the next novel to come out. (Perhaps you can call this a guilty
      pleasure of mine.)

      I've started an email list for anyone who is interested in regularly
      discussing her writings, at http://www.egroups.com/group/kagebaker and I
      thought there might be some folks here who'd be interested.

      matt

      "There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
      returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment in fact."
      --Mark Twain
      Currently reading: The Land Was Everything by Victor Davis Hanson
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2000
        From: "Matthew Winslow" <mwinslow-sf@...>
        > Anyway, I've been reading Kage Baker's 'The Company' stories and novels
        since
        > they first started appearing in 'Asimov's' back in 1997, (I think that's
        the
        > date of the first story), and I've been loving them. Her work is not
        'great
        > literature' or anything like that, but I find the stories captivating and
        > can't wait for the next novel to come out. (Perhaps you can call this a
        guilty
        > pleasure of mine.)
        >
        > I've started an email list for anyone who is interested in regularly
        > discussing her writings, at http://www.egroups.com/group/kagebaker and I
        > thought there might be some folks here who'd be interested.

        Khazad-dum (the SF Bay Area's chapter of the MythSoc) just discussed _Sky
        Coyote_, the second Company book yesterday. I was tickled by it and think I
        will read the third as well. (I read the first book a while back.) I've
        read some of the short stories and, as such things go, liked some better
        than others.

        Thanks, Matt, for starting the group and posting this.

        Berni