Re: PETER JACKSON TALKS LORD OF THE RINGS

  • stephen@stephen.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2000
      Wendell Wagner wrote:
      >I suspect that Peter Jackson didn't mean anything very clear by his
      >statement. I think that he was just trying to say that the movies were
      >his interpretation of the books and not Tolkien's own vision.

      I agree. I took his statement as vague grammar and spoken idiom in an
      attempt to say something he hadn't thought through or written down. My
      impression is that what he was saying could be more accurately written as
      "... not, like, the official authorized movies." with a 'valley girl' type of
      usage of the work 'like'.

      - Stephen
    • stephen@stephen.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2000
        David Bratman wrote:
        >In other words, you think that when Peter Jackson said "These [i.e. his
        >films] are not like the official authorised movies," he meant the
        >official authorized movies of _other books_, not ones of LOTR. Is that
        >your import?
        >
        >If that's what he meant, the word "the" misled me. See, it really can
        >matter what the meaning of a little word is.

        Come to think of it, I agree with this also. Yes. I think he probably said
        "not, like, 'the official authorized movies'." making a comparison to
        authorized movies in general. Probably it would have been a lot clearer on
        TV or radio.

        - Stephen