Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 448

  • Nagy Gergely
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2000
      mythsoc@egroups.com wrote:

      > > The site also reported that crews have been shooting around Wellington, New
      > > Zealand, using elephants to stand in for the "oliphaunts" that appear in
      > > J.R.R. Tolkien's Rings novels.
      >
      > But =aren't= they elephants? Middle Earth doesn't go back to the times of
      > the woolly mammoth, does it?
      >
      > Mary S

      In fact, Paul Kocher in The Achievement of J.R.R. Tolkien suggests as much in the
      first chapter where he argues that Middle-earth is in fact this world. I wouldn't
      agree with much what he says, but then, his book is heavily pre-Silmarillion
      (published in 1973 or around).

      N A G Y, GERGELY
      PhD Student
      lamorak@....u-szeged.hu
      Institute of English andAmerican Studies and
      Department of Classical Philology
      University of Szeged,
      Szeged, HUNGARY