Re: [mythsoc] PETER JACKSON TALKS LORD OF THE RINGS

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12, 2000
      From: Joan Marie Verba <verba001@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 9:19 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] PETER JACKSON TALKS LORD OF THE RINGS

      > PETER JACKSON TALKS LORD OF THE RINGS
      >
      > The New Zealand Herald has a great interview posted with director Peter
      > Jackson:
      >
      > ...but for the last year especially, there are moments that
      > come to me when I am standing on the set. I am having a quiet moment in
      the
      > corner while I am waiting for the camera to be set up and it just dawns on
      > me from time to time that here I am in Bag End or here I am in Helm's Deep
      > and there is Aragorn there and there's Gandalf and here's Frodo.
      >
      >There's bits of Helm's Deep that will never be in the movie. We all walked
      > around it "wow this is Helm's Deep". It's a really weird experience.
      >
      > That is where I have the most fun in a movie like this. I am trying to do
      > this movie exactly like I imagined it. To do anything else would be silly.
      > You don't always succeed obviously for various reasons.
      >
      >...so I am the lucky guy. I'm the guy who actually gets his
      > fantasy on screen.

      It's interviews like this one that keep me optimistic about the forthcoming
      movies. They won't be perfect (as Jackson admits), but at least the people
      behind them seem to understand and appreciate what they're dealing with.

      A couple of times, I've typed out my own "weird experience" and haven't sent
      it, for fear of my sanity being questioned. But since this entry brought it
      up...

      Some years back, when I first watched Elijah Wood's portrayal of Huck Finn*,
      I realized that I enjoyed it not only because he had an ability to show a
      range of emotions that was unusual for someone his age, but also because he
      was the spitting image of how I've always pictured Frodo at the age he was
      when his parents died. So when I first learned that Wood had been cast as
      Frodo in these movies, it was kind of strange. But the really "weird
      experience" came when I first saw the trailer on the official website. With
      the closeup of Frodo (at Weathertop, I think), my heart almost stopped as I
      immediately said, "My God, it's him!"

      I've sometimes joked that my relationship with Frodo has lasted longer than
      any other relationship I've had with a male, and seeing him "in the flesh,"
      so to speak, was (and still is, at times) kind of jarring. Like Peter
      Jackson, I feel myself to be pretty lucky to actually have __this__ part of
      my fantasy on the screen. I'm sure there will be more.

      -- Trudy
      *By the way, a good example of a movie that really changes the plot of a
      book!
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2000
        PETER JACKSON TALKS LORD OF THE RINGS

        The New Zealand Herald has a great interview posted with director Peter
        Jackson:

        Is it looking the way you imagined it would?
        What I think one of the unique privileges of doing this film is that it's a
        book that you grew up with and the characters that you imagine in your
        mind - obviously the book paints an incredibly vivid picture of what these
        places look like - but for the last year especially, there are moments that
        come to me when I am standing on the set. I am having a quiet moment in the
        corner while I am waiting for the camera to be set up and it just dawns on
        me from time to time that here I am in Bag End or here I am in Helm's Deep
        and there is Aragorn there and there's Gandalf and here's Frodo.

        There are moments when do feel you are physically transported into the book
        which is amazing. You put the technology to one side and that's incredibly
        unique.

        Everybody will be able to share the movie when it comes out on screen but
        it's a real privilege for the few of us that we are physically there,
        standing in the same room as these characters, being able to walk through
        doorways and look around corners that people in the movie won't see.

        There's bits of Helm's Deep that will never be in the movie. We all walked
        around it "wow this is Helm's Deep". It's a really weird experience.

        That is where I have the most fun in a movie like this. I am trying to do
        this movie exactly like I imagined it. To do anything else would be silly.
        You don't always succeed obviously for various reasons.

        When I imagine Bag End I have incredibly clever conceptual artists that I
        explain what it looks like. Sometimes their ideas are better than mine but
        eventually we all come up with this result which in my mind anyway is the
        ultimate Bag End so I am the lucky guy. I'm the guy who actually gets his
        fantasy on screen.

        These films are not official Lord of The Rings films. The Tolkien estate is
        not involved. Professor Tolkien has passed away. These are not like the
        official authorised movies. These are an interpretation and they are our
        interpretation collectively of these characters in this story.

        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
        List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
        MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2000
          On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Peter Jackson wrote:

          > it just dawns on
          > me from time to time that here I am in Bag End or here I am in Helm's Deep
          > and there is Aragorn there and there's Gandalf and here's Frodo.
          >
          > There are moments when do feel you are physically transported into the book
          > which is amazing. You put the technology to one side and that's incredibly
          > unique.

          I guess I'm glad he feels that way, but I wouldn't. To me Middle-earth
          has a subcreational reality that no reproduction, no matter how true even
          to my own personal vision, can replicate. I cannot forget, even for a
          moment, that what I am looking at is a reproduction. What I could say is
          "yes, this is what it _looks like_," and I hope I will indeed say that
          when I see the film. Certainly the trailer was fairly promising.

          > These films are not official Lord of The Rings films. The Tolkien estate is
          > not involved. Professor Tolkien has passed away. These are not like the
          > official authorised movies. These are an interpretation and they are our
          > interpretation collectively of these characters in this story.

          What does he mean by "the official authorised movies"? Bakshi and
          Rankin-Bass? Those films (which also appeared after Tolkien's death,
          btw) were neither more nor less authorized than this one. The Tolkien
          estate had nothing to do with any of them. Bakshi was authorized by the
          owners of the film rights, by the same process (indeed, I think the same
          persons) who authorized Jackson. (Rankin-Bass is another, murkier story.)

          David Bratman
        • stephen@stephen.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2000
            David Bratman wrote (quoting Peter Jackson):
            >> These films are not official Lord of The Rings films. The Tolkien estate is
            >> not involved. Professor Tolkien has passed away. These are not like the
            >> official authorised movies. These are an interpretation and they are our
            >> interpretation collectively of these characters in this story.
            >
            >What does he mean by "the official authorised movies"? Bakshi and
            >Rankin-Bass? Those films (which also appeared after Tolkien's death,
            >btw) were neither more nor less authorized than this one. The Tolkien
            >estate had nothing to do with any of them. Bakshi was authorized by the
            >owners of the film rights, by the same process (indeed, I think the same
            >persons) who authorized Jackson. (Rankin-Bass is another, murkier story.)

            Perhaps he's just saying they're not authentic Tolkien creations; they're
            just his own interpretation. As opposed to Dune, for example, which had
            Herbert claiming to approve the vision of the film. It seems unlikely to me
            that Jackson considers the Bakshi and Rankin-Bass films to be of much
            significance at all.

            - Stephen
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2000
              Stephen -

              In other words, you think that when Peter Jackson said "These [i.e. his
              films] are not like the official authorised movies," he meant the
              official authorized movies of _other books_, not ones of LOTR. Is that
              your import?

              If that's what he meant, the word "the" misled me. See, it really can
              matter what the meaning of a little word is.

              David Bratman
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14, 2000
                In a message dated 11/14/00 2:02:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                dbratman@... writes:

                << In other words, you think that when Peter Jackson said "These [i.e. his
                films] are not like the official authorised movies," he meant the
                official authorized movies of _other books_, not ones of LOTR. Is that
                your import?

                If that's what he meant, the word "the" misled me. See, it really can
                matter what the meaning of a little word is.

                I suspect that Peter Jackson didn't mean anything very clear by his
                statement. I think that he was just trying to say that the movies were his
                interpretation of the books and not Tolkien's own vision. That has nothing
                to do with authorized in the usual sense of the world. Furthermore, there's
                no guarantee that a movie that's authorized in the usual sense will
                necessarily be better than one that isn't.

                Even if the author was involved in the actual production of the movie, that
                doesn't mean that the film will be better. Does anyone think that because
                Stephen King directed _Maximum Overdrive_ that it was therefore the best film
                made from his works? Or that the films made from Michael Crichton's novels
                that he directed himself were the best ones? Or that because Mickey Spillane
                played Mike Hammer in _The Girl Hunters_ and Richard Wright played Bigger
                Thomas in (and wrote the screenplay for) the 1950 version of_Native Son_ that
                these were the best possible versions of these works?

                Wendell Wagner
              • stephen@stephen.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 14, 2000
                  Wendell Wagner wrote:
                  >I suspect that Peter Jackson didn't mean anything very clear by his
                  >statement. I think that he was just trying to say that the movies were
                  >his interpretation of the books and not Tolkien's own vision.

                  I agree. I took his statement as vague grammar and spoken idiom in an
                  attempt to say something he hadn't thought through or written down. My
                  impression is that what he was saying could be more accurately written as
                  "... not, like, the official authorized movies." with a 'valley girl' type of
                  usage of the work 'like'.

                  - Stephen
                • stephen@stephen.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 14, 2000
                    David Bratman wrote:
                    >In other words, you think that when Peter Jackson said "These [i.e. his
                    >films] are not like the official authorised movies," he meant the
                    >official authorized movies of _other books_, not ones of LOTR. Is that
                    >your import?
                    >
                    >If that's what he meant, the word "the" misled me. See, it really can
                    >matter what the meaning of a little word is.

                    Come to think of it, I agree with this also. Yes. I think he probably said
                    "not, like, 'the official authorized movies'." making a comparison to
                    authorized movies in general. Probably it would have been a lot clearer on
                    TV or radio.

                    - Stephen