Tolkien Society bibliography

  • Joe Christopher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 1999
      > Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:06:08 -0500
      > From: Ted Sherman <beohilde@...>
      >Subject: Tolkien Society Bibliography
      >
      >Here's an online bibliography of works about Tolkien. Note that it
      >doesn't claim to be complete.
      >
      >Ted
      >
      >http://www.tolkiensociety.org/bibl3.html

      Hmm. What it does is list books and pamphlets, including some privately
      printed booklets. (It has some creative works--both chapbooks by Marion
      Zimmer Bradley, for example--but misses both editions of my _Musings beneath
      a Tree of Amalion_. Ah well.) Interesting. Not updated since 1997. I
      suppose if one wants the academic publications, he or she could go to the
      _MLA International Bibliography_--particularly one on a CD-ROM in an
      academic library. (I forget how far back it starts, but one would have to
      work through the earlier bound volumes to catch everything.) But under the
      J's in this Tolkien Society listing are two secondary bibliographies, of
      which I have Jonsson's--it lists fan material as well as academic. (West is
      listed under the W's.) And, of course, for primary material, Wayne
      Hammond's _Descriptive Bibliography_ (under the H's) is basic.

      --Joe
    • Edith Crowe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 1999
        Joe Christopher wrote:

        > I suppose if one wants the academic publications, he or she could go to the
        > _MLA International Bibliography_--particularly one on a CD-ROM in an
        > academic library. (I forget how far back it starts, but one would have to
        > work through the earlier bound volumes to catch everything.)

        Allow me to put on my librarian hat and inform you that electronic versions of
        MLA (web and CD-ROM) go back to 1963. This should include the bulk of writing
        about his fantasy, since that was primarily a post-sixties explosion. Any
        university library that had an electronic version should have its paper
        predecessors as well, which go back to 1926, I believe.

        Edith Crowe