Re: [mythsoc] Re: Nesbit and new Narnia editions

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
      David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
      > I don't think the box-car children are the same as the railway children.
      > I think _The Box-Car Children_ (1924) is the first of a long series by
      > Gertrude Chandler Warner; yes?

      Right, as always, David. GCW wrote the first 19 of the series, the remaining
      40+ are inferior in quality, written by anonymous authors. Not a bit of
      fantasy in them. My sons (6 and 8) just got done with the original 19 and are
      plowing through the next ones. Without prompting my 8-year old said that he
      noticed they weren't as good. There may be hope for him yet <g>.

      "An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable than an incompetent
      philosopher"
      --John Gardner
      Currently reading: The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman