Re: Stephen Lawhead as Mythopoeic art

  • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 1999
      Diane,
      I am agreement with you about Stephen Lawhead. I thought his
      Pendragon Chronicles was an excellent trilogy; now quadrilogy? He is the one
      who really piqued my interest in Celtic myth. Although, The Song of Albion I
      found not to be as good. At least I had trouble getting through the first
      book. Maybe I will try again.
      I will suggest another fine read: Ursula LeGuin's The Wizard of
      Earthsea. It is akin to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings in that it makes a great
      morality statement of good overpowering evil; light overpowering dark.
      Next letter, I want to discuss the Silmarillion. But alas! I must
      retire for the evening.
      Anxiously waiting further discussion,
      Ron
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 1999
        FrMacKen@... wrote:

        > From: FrMacKen@...
        >

        > I will suggest another fine read: Ursula LeGuin's The Wizard of
        > Earthsea. It is akin to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings in that it makes a great
        > morality statement of good overpowering evil; light overpowering dark.
        > Next letter, I want to discuss the Silmarillion.

        > Anxiously waiting further discussion,
        > Ron

        Darn. I have a feeling we could talk all night and don't have an
        "instant message" feature. Will have to see if I can put one on my
        computer :) . On Le Guin: I read and greatly enjoyed the Earthsea
        series. *Tombs of Atuan* somehow sticks in my memory more so than
        others, but I enjoyed all of them. ---djb.
      • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 1999
          In a message dated 6/25/1999 8:20:31 AM EST, dianejoy@... writes:

          << Darn. I have a feeling we could talk all night and don't have an
          "instant message" feature. Will have to see if I can put one on my
          computer :) . >>
          Diane,
          Concerning the Instant Message feature, Go to http://www.aol.com and
          download the free Instant Messager software.
          For myself, The Wizard of Earthsea makes the boldest stroke, however,
          the last book; Tehanu is a grand finish to a remarkable series. In both
          books, Ged is taught a lesson in humility. You are right about the Tombs of
          Atuan as well. In fact, LeGuin has commented that she received quite a few
          letters concerning her trilogy from Anglican priests and she herself is an
          agnostic/atheist.
          The letter has to short, but I will write you again tonight
          Ron