Re: [mythsoc] LotR's and Mythology

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
      WendellWag@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > k_hallenbeck@... writes:
      >
      > << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
      > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
      > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>
      >
      > I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
      > knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
      > it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
      > not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

      Urgh. I know I either have this book or had it at one time (most
      of my collection of secondary Tolkien references is in the
      Attic), but don't really remember much about it. Which may in
      itself tell you something; reliability aside, it obviously didn't
      stand out from the pack. (Yes, I =do= have rather a large
      collection of Tolkienalia, why do you ask? :) )

      Put it this way: There are much better books out there.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>