LEE TALKS 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
      LEE TALKS 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

      Conceptual artist Alan Lee has been talking about the challenges of
      designing the settings and characters for the Lord of the Rings movies.
      While talking to E! Online, Lee revealed, "It's been a huge challenge,
      especially the Elven buildings--Rivendell, Lorien and the Gray Havens. We
      knew they had to look exceptional. You need a sense of their artistry but
      also their mystery. In some cases you have so little clues, so you explore
      different ideas."

      On the character side, he adds, "In general, I don't focus on individual
      characters, I'm more interested in showing a character in relation to an
      environment. Tolkien describes these ancient cultures with thousands of
      years of history. I enjoy showing the enormity and the detail of these
      worlds."

      One exception to his self-imposed rule has been of the elf queen Galadriel.
      Lee says, "Galadriel is an ideal of so many icons of women. She has to be
      both divine and vulnerable. I thought Cate Blanchett was a brilliant piece
      of casting."

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2001
        LEE TALKS 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

        Christopher Lee is talking about the Lord of the Rings films, again.

        While talking to Empire Online, Lee spoke favorably, again, about
        Jackson,
        saying, "His instincts are amazing. His stamina is something I could
        barely
        believe. He’s a very stable man. He has tremendous stamina and he needed
        it,
        he needed it."

        When asked to compare Star Wars: Episode II with the Lord of the Rings
        trilogy, Lee says, "I’ve said before that the Lord of the Rings, in my
        opinion – Star Wars speaks for itself, of course. It’ll be titanic as a
        film, they all are and deservedly so – but the Lord of the Rings will, I
        think, create cinema history because I don’t think anybody will have
        seen
        anything quite like it."