RINGS NEAR FILMING'S END

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2000
      RINGS NEAR FILMING'S END

      Having recently celebrated the one-year anniversary of filming, Peter
      Jackson's upcoming The Lord of the Rings film trilogy is on schedule and
      expects to wrap principal photography just before Christmas, according to
      E!
      Online. Cast and crew took Oct. 11 off to celebrate the one-year
      anniversary, and Rings producer Barrie Osborne and director Jackson threw a
      lavish party for all on location in Queenstown, New Zealand.

      Hugo Weaving has already left the location after wrapping his scenes as
      Elrond, E! reported. Liv Tyler (Arwen) returns from break in December to
      wrap her scenes. Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf) has taken a five-week break,
      showing up at some of Wellington's trendy nightclubs.

      For his part, McKellen said on his official Web site that he's ready to
      wrap. "I asked Peter Jackson the other day whether I would finish as was
      long since planned: He was confident that we would finish on schedule,"
      McKellen posted. "I asked, because I am beginning to need an end in sight.
      It's the same with a long job in the theatre. Judi Dench and I used to
      cross
      the days off on the dressing-room mirror at the Fortune Theatre--matinee
      days we did it twice. I'm feeling nothing like that. Indeed, my enthusiasm
      for the New Zealand I've seen beyond the movie's locations has been an
      added
      reward for a year's work away from home."

      Rings recently completed filming of one of the films' biggest set pieces
      yet: the Battle of Pelennor, which involved 230 orcs, 250 Rohan warriors
      and
      50 or so stunt players in the remote South Island mountain village of
      Twizel, E! Online reported.

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists