Re: [mythsoc] LotR's and Mythology

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
      Check out Tom Shippey's _Road to Middle-earth_, which you'll be able to find in an
      online second-hand book dealer.

      ted

      Margaret Dean wrote:

      > Kati Hallenbeck wrote:
      >
      > > Just wondering if I could pick all your brains as to Tolkien's use of
      > > mythology in LotRs. How he might of modernized the myth and how others have
      > > copied his age old themes. I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
      > > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
      > > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. Also
      > > with reference to Derrida's work on "originals" vs. "copies". Anyway, thank
      > > you all for your help. I've been enjoying the conversations and the
      > > links!!!
      >
      > I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
      > roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
      > primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
      > Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
      > right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
      > the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
      > any.
      >
      > --Margaret Dean
      > <margdean@...>

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
        In a message dated 11/3/00 6:57:26 AM Central Standard Time,
        tedsherman@... writes:

        > Katie,
        >
        > Subscribe to Mythlore!

        And have your University library subscribe to Mythlore!

        Mary S
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
          In a message dated 11/3/0 3:06:03 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:

          <<I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
          roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
          primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
          Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
          right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
          the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
          any.>>

          Also look at the _Kalevala_, which was another favourite of Tolkien's
          (although its influence is more obvious in _The Simarillion_ than in _The
          Lord of the Rings_: it provided the inspiration for the story of Turin
          Turambar, among other things).
          Alexei
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
            In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            k_hallenbeck@... writes:

            << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
            hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
            thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>

            I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
            knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
            it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
            not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

            Wendell Wagner
          • Margaret Dean
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
              WendellWag@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              > k_hallenbeck@... writes:
              >
              > << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
              > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
              > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>
              >
              > I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
              > knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
              > it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
              > not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

              Urgh. I know I either have this book or had it at one time (most
              of my collection of secondary Tolkien references is in the
              Attic), but don't really remember much about it. Which may in
              itself tell you something; reliability aside, it obviously didn't
              stand out from the pack. (Yes, I =do= have rather a large
              collection of Tolkienalia, why do you ask? :) )

              Put it this way: There are much better books out there.

              --Margaret Dean
              <margdean@...>