Re: [mythsoc] LotR's and Mythology

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
      Check out Tom Shippey's _Road to Middle-earth_, which you'll be able to find in an
      online second-hand book dealer.

      ted

      Margaret Dean wrote:

      > Kati Hallenbeck wrote:
      >
      > > Just wondering if I could pick all your brains as to Tolkien's use of
      > > mythology in LotRs. How he might of modernized the myth and how others have
      > > copied his age old themes. I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
      > > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
      > > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. Also
      > > with reference to Derrida's work on "originals" vs. "copies". Anyway, thank
      > > you all for your help. I've been enjoying the conversations and the
      > > links!!!
      >
      > I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
      > roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
      > primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
      > Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
      > right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
      > the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
      > any.
      >
      > --Margaret Dean
      > <margdean@...>

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
          In a message dated 11/3/00 6:57:26 AM Central Standard Time,
          tedsherman@... writes:

          > Katie,
          >
          > Subscribe to Mythlore!

          And have your University library subscribe to Mythlore!

          Mary S
        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
            In a message dated 11/3/0 3:06:03 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:

            <<I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
            roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
            primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
            Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
            right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
            the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
            any.>>

            Also look at the _Kalevala_, which was another favourite of Tolkien's
            (although its influence is more obvious in _The Simarillion_ than in _The
            Lord of the Rings_: it provided the inspiration for the story of Turin
            Turambar, among other things).
            Alexei
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
              In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              k_hallenbeck@... writes:

              << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
              hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
              thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>

              I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
              knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
              it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
              not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

              Wendell Wagner
            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
                WendellWag@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                > k_hallenbeck@... writes:
                >
                > << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
                > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
                > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>
                >
                > I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
                > knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
                > it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
                > not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

                Urgh. I know I either have this book or had it at one time (most
                of my collection of secondary Tolkien references is in the
                Attic), but don't really remember much about it. Which may in
                itself tell you something; reliability aside, it obviously didn't
                stand out from the pack. (Yes, I =do= have rather a large
                collection of Tolkienalia, why do you ask? :) )

                Put it this way: There are much better books out there.

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>