Re: [mythsoc] LotR's and Mythology

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
      Katie,

      Subscribe to Mythlore! The next issue includes an article by Verlyn Flieger on
      Tolkien and the Matter of Britain (discussing his mythology). Early next year
      (probably), Mythlore will have a review of _Recovery and Transcendence for the
      Contemporary Mythmaker: The Spiritual Dimension in the Works of J. R. R
      Tolkien_, by Christopher Garbowski (Lublin: Maria Curie-Sklodowska University P,
      2000. ISBN 83-227-1512-9).

      Ted

      Kati Hallenbeck wrote:

      > Hi Again!
      >
      > Just wondering if I could pick all your brains as to Tolkien's use of
      > mythology in LotRs. How he might of modernized the myth and how others have
      > copied his age old themes. I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
      > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
      > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. Also
      > with reference to Derrida's work on "originals" vs. "copies". Anyway, thank
      > you all for your help. I've been enjoying the conversations and the
      > links!!!
      >
      > Yours,
      >
      > Kati Hallenbeck
      > Western Washington University

      > http://profiles.msn.com

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
        Check out Tom Shippey's _Road to Middle-earth_, which you'll be able to find in an
        online second-hand book dealer.

        ted

        Margaret Dean wrote:

        > Kati Hallenbeck wrote:
        >
        > > Just wondering if I could pick all your brains as to Tolkien's use of
        > > mythology in LotRs. How he might of modernized the myth and how others have
        > > copied his age old themes. I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
        > > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
        > > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. Also
        > > with reference to Derrida's work on "originals" vs. "copies". Anyway, thank
        > > you all for your help. I've been enjoying the conversations and the
        > > links!!!
        >
        > I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
        > roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
        > primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
        > Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
        > right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
        > the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
        > any.
        >
        > --Margaret Dean
        > <margdean@...>

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
            In a message dated 11/3/00 6:57:26 AM Central Standard Time,
            tedsherman@... writes:

            > Katie,
            >
            > Subscribe to Mythlore!

            And have your University library subscribe to Mythlore!

            Mary S
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
              In a message dated 11/3/0 3:06:03 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:

              <<I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
              roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
              primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
              Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
              right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
              the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
              any.>>

              Also look at the _Kalevala_, which was another favourite of Tolkien's
              (although its influence is more obvious in _The Simarillion_ than in _The
              Lord of the Rings_: it provided the inspiration for the story of Turin
              Turambar, among other things).
              Alexei
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
                In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                k_hallenbeck@... writes:

                << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
                hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
                thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>

                I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
                knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
                it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
                not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

                Wendell Wagner
              • Margaret Dean
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
                  WendellWag@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > k_hallenbeck@... writes:
                  >
                  > << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
                  > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
                  > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>
                  >
                  > I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
                  > knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
                  > it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
                  > not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

                  Urgh. I know I either have this book or had it at one time (most
                  of my collection of secondary Tolkien references is in the
                  Attic), but don't really remember much about it. Which may in
                  itself tell you something; reliability aside, it obviously didn't
                  stand out from the pack. (Yes, I =do= have rather a large
                  collection of Tolkienalia, why do you ask? :) )

                  Put it this way: There are much better books out there.

                  --Margaret Dean
                  <margdean@...>