LotR's and Mythology

  • Kati Hallenbeck
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
      Hi Again!

      Just wondering if I could pick all your brains as to Tolkien's use of
      mythology in LotRs. How he might of modernized the myth and how others have
      copied his age old themes. I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
      hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
      thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. Also
      with reference to Derrida's work on "originals" vs. "copies". Anyway, thank
      you all for your help. I've been enjoying the conversations and the
      links!!!

      Yours,

      Kati Hallenbeck
      Western Washington University

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
        Katie,

        Subscribe to Mythlore! The next issue includes an article by Verlyn Flieger on
        Tolkien and the Matter of Britain (discussing his mythology). Early next year
        (probably), Mythlore will have a review of _Recovery and Transcendence for the
        Contemporary Mythmaker: The Spiritual Dimension in the Works of J. R. R
        Tolkien_, by Christopher Garbowski (Lublin: Maria Curie-Sklodowska University P,
        2000. ISBN 83-227-1512-9).

        Ted

        Kati Hallenbeck wrote:

        > Hi Again!
        >
        > Just wondering if I could pick all your brains as to Tolkien's use of
        > mythology in LotRs. How he might of modernized the myth and how others have
        > copied his age old themes. I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
        > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
        > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. Also
        > with reference to Derrida's work on "originals" vs. "copies". Anyway, thank
        > you all for your help. I've been enjoying the conversations and the
        > links!!!
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Kati Hallenbeck
        > Western Washington University

        > http://profiles.msn.com

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
          Check out Tom Shippey's _Road to Middle-earth_, which you'll be able to find in an
          online second-hand book dealer.

          ted

          Margaret Dean wrote:

          > Kati Hallenbeck wrote:
          >
          > > Just wondering if I could pick all your brains as to Tolkien's use of
          > > mythology in LotRs. How he might of modernized the myth and how others have
          > > copied his age old themes. I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
          > > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
          > > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. Also
          > > with reference to Derrida's work on "originals" vs. "copies". Anyway, thank
          > > you all for your help. I've been enjoying the conversations and the
          > > links!!!
          >
          > I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
          > roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
          > primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
          > Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
          > right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
          > the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
          > any.
          >
          > --Margaret Dean
          > <margdean@...>

          Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
          Mythopoeic Literature
          Box X041, Department of English
          Middle Tennessee State University
          Murfreesboro, TN 37132
          615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
          tsherman@...
          tedsherman@...
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
              In a message dated 11/3/00 6:57:26 AM Central Standard Time,
              tedsherman@... writes:

              > Katie,
              >
              > Subscribe to Mythlore!

              And have your University library subscribe to Mythlore!

              Mary S
            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
                In a message dated 11/3/0 3:06:03 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:

                <<I'd say your first, best source when digging for mythological
                roots for Tolkien is the Norse myths. Get yourself some good
                primary source material on those, and also read =Beowulf.= The
                Celtic and Arthurian mythoi (that's the plural of "mythos,"
                right?) probably had some influence as well, but not as much as
                the Northern myths. Classical mythology (Greek, etc.), little if
                any.>>

                Also look at the _Kalevala_, which was another favourite of Tolkien's
                (although its influence is more obvious in _The Simarillion_ than in _The
                Lord of the Rings_: it provided the inspiration for the story of Turin
                Turambar, among other things).
                Alexei
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
                  In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  k_hallenbeck@... writes:

                  << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
                  hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
                  thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>

                  I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
                  knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
                  it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
                  not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

                  Wendell Wagner
                • Margaret Dean
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
                    WendellWag@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 11/3/00 12:20:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    > k_hallenbeck@... writes:
                    >
                    > << I'm trying to focus my paper and since I got my
                    > hands on a copy of "The Mythology of Middle Earth" (out of print) on Ebay I
                    > thought this would be a good avenue to explore in a 15 page paper. >>
                    >
                    > I was hoping someone else would bring this up first, but can someone more
                    > knowledgeable than I am about Tolkien can tell us whether this book (I guess
                    > it's the one by Ruth S. Noel) is a reliable reference? I know I've been told
                    > not to trust her book _The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth_.

                    Urgh. I know I either have this book or had it at one time (most
                    of my collection of secondary Tolkien references is in the
                    Attic), but don't really remember much about it. Which may in
                    itself tell you something; reliability aside, it obviously didn't
                    stand out from the pack. (Yes, I =do= have rather a large
                    collection of Tolkienalia, why do you ask? :) )

                    Put it this way: There are much better books out there.

                    --Margaret Dean
                    <margdean@...>