Re: [mythsoc] In the Land of Faerie

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
      A good dose of Homer never hurts. The Odyssey is probably the seminal
      example of hero journey, at least in the Western canon. Any of the great
      epics or narative poems of western lit could be used if you like, including
      Dante's "Divine Comedy", Milton's "Paradise Lost", Spenser's "Fairie Queen",
      Malory's "Le Morte d'Arthur" etc. Tolkien took inspiration from
      Scandanavian works, among others. These great old works have no less to
      offer now than in the past. The fact that they've been worked over the
      centuries only reinforces their worth. If not rich, they would not have had
      new vitality for each generation. If you haven't worked with these, don't
      lose the opportunity.
      Myself, I've had only the tiniest bite of Dante, and I look forward to
      jumping in, but I haven't scheduled it yet. Shedder's, what do you think
      about addressing one of these sometime in the future?

      Peace,
      Paul Labaki

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
        In a message dated 11/2/00 10:57:32 PM Central Standard Time,
        sheik@... writes:

        > These great old works have no less to
        > offer now than in the past.

        But will today's children receive them? See this interesting (and alarming)
        <A HREF="http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0010/opinion/gold.html">FT
        October 2000: Grim Tales</A>

        Mary S
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
          Great essay, Mary; thanks.

          Ted

          Stolzi@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 11/2/00 10:57:32 PM Central Standard Time,
          > sheik@... writes:
          >
          > > These great old works have no less to
          > > offer now than in the past.
          >
          > But will today's children receive them? See this interesting (and alarming)
          > <A HREF="http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0010/opinion/gold.html">FT
          > October 2000: Grim Tales</A>
          >
          > Mary S

          Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
          Mythopoeic Literature
          Box X041, Department of English
          Middle Tennessee State University
          Murfreesboro, TN 37132
          615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
          tsherman@...
          tedsherman@...
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
            Thanks. Yes, I can't wait till my children can sit still long enough to read
            the REAL stories, especially the many Mowgli books, but also Tarka the Otter,
            Terhune's collie books, etc. But will they? And, I mean, not that long ago
            all this fluff (Disney et al.) didn't exist. Is it any wonder that we drool
            so over some of the older writers and their powers of language?

            Lizzie
          • Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
              > A good dose of Homer never hurts. The Odyssey is probably the seminal
              > example of hero journey, at least in the Western canon. Any of the great
              > epics or narative poems of western lit could be used if you like,
              including
              > Dante's "Divine Comedy", Milton's "Paradise Lost", Spenser's "Fairie
              Queen",
              > Malory's "Le Morte d'Arthur" etc. Tolkien took inspiration from
              > Scandanavian works, among others. These great old works have no less to
              > offer now than in the past. The fact that they've been worked over the
              > centuries only reinforces their worth. If not rich, they would not have
              had
              > new vitality for each generation. If you haven't worked with these, don't
              > lose the opportunity.
              > Myself, I've had only the tiniest bite of Dante, and I look forward to
              > jumping in, but I haven't scheduled it yet. Shedder's, what do you think
              > about addressing one of these sometime in the future?
              >
              > Peace,
              > Paul Labaki

              When I first subscribed to Mythlore, I'd never read anything by Charles
              Williams (heck, like most people I'd never *heard* of Charles Williams) and
              really had no desire to. Then I read an article in Mythlore (title and
              author forgotten, I'm afraid) linking the imagery of All Hallows' Eve to
              that of Dante's Purgatorio. I was intrigued and began searching for
              Williams' novels (this was pre-internet days). I finally located a few in a
              used bookstore, bought them all, and began reading--with All Hallows' Eve,
              of course. My reaction was, "I didn't know anyone wrote like this!" So,
              many thanks to whoever wrote that article--for being familiar with both
              Williams *and* Dante, and for sharing your insights.

              (I've also belonged to a group that discussed the Divine Comedy and highly
              recommend the practice.)

              -- Trudy
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
                In a message dated 11/3/00 11:59:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                writes:

                << But will today's children receive them? >>

                This is precisely why, among the many books and such that I have given my
                nephew and nieces for Christmas presents, nothing from Disney has ever
                included. I don't know whether the complaints in that website you give are
                true though. I don't see Disney stuff crowding out better books in my
                nephews and nieces's bookshelves. And in my experience it is possible to
                ignore such things. I remember seeing many Disney comics, cartoons, and
                movies as a child, but I soon learned to ignore them and look for better
                stories.