Re: [mythsoc] Nesbit and new Narnia editions

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000

      << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy. >>

      Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that could
      appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and trains in
      general...

      Lizzie
    • bill pierce
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
        --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:

        > << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.
        > Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that
        could appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and
        trains in general...
        > Lizzie
        My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
        three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
        Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
        place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car.
        bill
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
          On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, bill pierce wrote:

          > --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
          > > In a message dated 00-11-02 20:36:13 EST, you write:
          > >
          > > << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.
          > > Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that
          > could appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and
          > trains in general...
          > > Lizzie
          > My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
          > three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
          > Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
          > place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car.

          I don't think the box-car children are the same as the railway children.
          I think _The Box-Car Children_ (1924) is the first of a long series by
          Gertrude Chandler Warner; yes?

          David Bratman
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
            In a message dated 11/04/2000 1:38:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            wpierce@... writes:

            << My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
            three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
            Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
            place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car. >>

            The Box Car Children? That's not the same as the Railway Children or is it?

            Lizzie
          • Matthew Winslow
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
              David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
              > I don't think the box-car children are the same as the railway children.
              > I think _The Box-Car Children_ (1924) is the first of a long series by
              > Gertrude Chandler Warner; yes?

              Right, as always, David. GCW wrote the first 19 of the series, the remaining
              40+ are inferior in quality, written by anonymous authors. Not a bit of
              fantasy in them. My sons (6 and 8) just got done with the original 19 and are
              plowing through the next ones. Without prompting my 8-year old said that he
              noticed they weren't as good. There may be hope for him yet <g>.

              "An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable than an incompetent
              philosopher"
              --John Gardner
              Currently reading: The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman