Re: [mythsoc] Nesbit and new Narnia editions

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
      From: <ERATRIANO@...>

      > I just ordered a copy of The Railway Children by E. Nesbit, because I
      liked
      > Five Children and It. I hope I won't be disappointed.

      I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.

      Berni
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000

        << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy. >>

        Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that could
        appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and trains in
        general...

        Lizzie
      • bill pierce
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
          --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:

          > << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.
          > Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that
          could appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and
          trains in general...
          > Lizzie
          My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
          three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
          Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
          place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car.
          bill
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
            On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, bill pierce wrote:

            > --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
            > > In a message dated 00-11-02 20:36:13 EST, you write:
            > >
            > > << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.
            > > Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that
            > could appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and
            > trains in general...
            > > Lizzie
            > My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
            > three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
            > Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
            > place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car.

            I don't think the box-car children are the same as the railway children.
            I think _The Box-Car Children_ (1924) is the first of a long series by
            Gertrude Chandler Warner; yes?

            David Bratman
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
              In a message dated 11/04/2000 1:38:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              wpierce@... writes:

              << My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
              three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
              Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
              place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car. >>

              The Box Car Children? That's not the same as the Railway Children or is it?

              Lizzie
            • Matthew Winslow
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
                David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
                > I don't think the box-car children are the same as the railway children.
                > I think _The Box-Car Children_ (1924) is the first of a long series by
                > Gertrude Chandler Warner; yes?

                Right, as always, David. GCW wrote the first 19 of the series, the remaining
                40+ are inferior in quality, written by anonymous authors. Not a bit of
                fantasy in them. My sons (6 and 8) just got done with the original 19 and are
                plowing through the next ones. Without prompting my 8-year old said that he
                noticed they weren't as good. There may be hope for him yet <g>.

                "An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable than an incompetent
                philosopher"
                --John Gardner
                Currently reading: The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman