Re: [mythsoc] Nesbit and new Narnia editions

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
      I just ordered a copy of The Railway Children by E. Nesbit, because I liked
      Five Children and It. I hope I won't be disappointed.

      I saw the $100+ Chronicles of Narnia at Borders, in a shrinkwrapped slipcase.
      Unless there are some awesome illustrations in there, I don't see any
      motivation to shell out the money. Has anyone had a closer look? After the
      chat here a while back, I concluded that I really needed to leaf through the
      various editions to find which, if any, we would purchase.

      Lizzie
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
        From: <ERATRIANO@...>

        > I just ordered a copy of The Railway Children by E. Nesbit, because I
        liked
        > Five Children and It. I hope I won't be disappointed.

        I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.

        Berni
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000

          << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy. >>

          Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that could
          appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and trains in
          general...

          Lizzie
        • bill pierce
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
            --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:

            > << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.
            > Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that
            could appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and
            trains in general...
            > Lizzie
            My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
            three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
            Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
            place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car.
            bill
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
              On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, bill pierce wrote:

              > --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
              > > In a message dated 00-11-02 20:36:13 EST, you write:
              > >
              > > << I'm afraid you may be. _The Railway Children_ is not a fantasy.
              > > Oh well that's not so awful. It sounded more like something that
              > could appeal to children who are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine and
              > trains in general...
              > > Lizzie
              > My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
              > three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
              > Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
              > place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car.

              I don't think the box-car children are the same as the railway children.
              I think _The Box-Car Children_ (1924) is the first of a long series by
              Gertrude Chandler Warner; yes?

              David Bratman
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
                In a message dated 11/04/2000 1:38:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                wpierce@... writes:

                << My wife has made the box car children a must read for each of our
                three children, as much as i have made The Hobbit and Wizard of OZ.
                Younger readers will probably enjoy the story of siblings who find a
                place to live on their own in an abandoned box-car. >>

                The Box Car Children? That's not the same as the Railway Children or is it?

                Lizzie
              • Matthew Winslow
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
                  David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
                  > I don't think the box-car children are the same as the railway children.
                  > I think _The Box-Car Children_ (1924) is the first of a long series by
                  > Gertrude Chandler Warner; yes?

                  Right, as always, David. GCW wrote the first 19 of the series, the remaining
                  40+ are inferior in quality, written by anonymous authors. Not a bit of
                  fantasy in them. My sons (6 and 8) just got done with the original 19 and are
                  plowing through the next ones. Without prompting my 8-year old said that he
                  noticed they weren't as good. There may be hope for him yet <g>.

                  "An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable than an incompetent
                  philosopher"
                  --John Gardner
                  Currently reading: The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman