Re: [mythsoc] Redwall... Duncton.... Watership.... animals

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
      I haven't read Stonor or any of Horwood's other offerings. I keep thinking
      about it; as it is I haven't even read all the Duncton books. I love the
      Borderlands cultural stuff in Duncton, and what I felt to be a richness for
      the senses. Watership Down is perhaps a more polished work, with fewer loose
      ends and rough spots, I'll agree it's a classic. I wasn't as keen on the
      sequel, but perhaps that was due to being so much older when I read it. The
      Duncton books get rather a bit too preachy at times, the Holy Mole and all
      that stuff. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the characterization of some
      of the moles, the darkness and sensuality (moles? yeah, really), and the
      sense of the land. There was that reality of landscape in Watership Down as
      well.

      Does anyone know if there are books like that, fantasy or animal or whatever,
      that work with the New England terrain? And don't say Lovecraft... lol

      Lizzie
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > Watership Down is perhaps a more polished work, with fewer loose
        > ends and rough spots, I'll agree it's a classic. I wasn't as keen on the
        > sequel, but perhaps that was due to being so much older when I read it.

        Well, I was considerably older too, but I agree with you; TALES
        FROM WATERSHIP DOWN mostly didn't do it for me. With the
        exception of "The Story of King Fur-Rocious," I thought the
        stories were either rather pointless or far =too= pointed.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
          > I haven't read Stonor or any of Horwood's other offerings. I keep
          thinking
          > about it; as it is I haven't even read all the Duncton books.

          I only know about *Duncton Woods* which I read with great enjoyment. Any
          other titles you can pass my way? ---djb.

        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
            In a message dated 11/09/2000 12:24:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            dianejoy@... writes:

            << I only know about *Duncton Woods* which I read with great enjoyment. Any
            other titles you can pass my way? ---djb. >>

            There's The Stonor Eagles, I think it's called, as was recently mentioned.
            Also:
            Callanish
            Skallagrigg
            Duncton Quest
            Duncton Found
            Duncton Rising
            Duncton Tales

            It's been several years now, but I think I've read them all but 'Tales. Also
            there was a book coming out when I got my last mailing from Horwood. I think
            it was called The Wolves of Europe, or something like that. I also think
            that Callanish and Skallagrigg may not be regular folksy animal stories. I
            haven't seen them.

            Lizzie
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
              In a message dated 11/9/0 5:50:43 PM, Lizzie wrote:

              <<I also think
              that Callanish and Skallagrigg may not be regular folksy animal stories.>>

              I haven't read _Callanish_, but _Skallagrigg_ is a peculiar story about a
              role-playing game.
              Alexei