Re: [mythsoc] Pullman and the Anxiety of Influence, etc.

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
      ERATRIANO@... wrote:

      > I am ploughing through Moon's Deed of Paksennarion (sp) and while it took
      > some getting used to, and I personally miss a romantic element, it is
      > definitely worth reading, at least so far. There is a wealth more of certain
      > details than I can take in, but it still doesn't make it a bad book. Many
      > supposedly mythic books leave a gooey taste in the mind, and Paks, while not
      > as poetic as I might like, is leaving a clean taste... lol

      I have to say I thouroughly enjoyed the first half of DoP. But when
      things started getting religious and mystical it became less enjoyable
      for me. I think, however, this is my peculiarity rather than a flaw
      in the writing.

      MKK
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2000
        << Somewhere Gene Wolfe was quoted as saying that Tolkien is such a giant for
        subsequent fantasyists that they must either write in his shadow or in
        reaction to Tolkien. I'd really love to find the original Gene Wolfe
        quotation. It seems overstatement from a writer who is probably most
        influenced by another giant, J.L. Borges, and certainly shows more influence
        from Dickens and Kipling than Tolkien. So I'd like to see exactly what he
        said. (Or to know that he was misquoted). >>

        It's an understandable generalization. One can either write in the
        orcs-and-elves sort of tradition, or consciously choose not to use any of it.
        But I'm not sure how things like poetric prophecy, magic swords, and other
        things that existed before Tolkien, would be classified. Did the quote ever
        turn up.

        << By the way, I read Caroline Stevermer's new book, _When the King Comes
        Home_ and greatly enjoyed it. >>

        I've not heard of her. What does she write?

        Lizzie
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2000
          David Lenander <d-lena@...> wrote:

          > Somewhere Gene Wolfe was quoted as saying that Tolkien
          > is such a giant for subsequent fantasyists that they must either write in his
          > shadow or in reaction to Tolkien. I'd really love to find the original Gene
          > Wolfe quotation.

          David Eddings is responsible for the above. It was during an interview that
          was contained in a Waldenbooks publication that was given to members of some
          sort of sf readers club, if memory serves.

          Peace,
          Paul