Re: [mythsoc] Pullman and the Anxiety of Influence, etc.

  • ted sherman
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
      It's quite clear from the interviews that what Pullman objects to is Lewis's
      using fiction to promote a Christian philosophy. He states that rather
      emphatically. What he doesn't state, however, is that he is guilty of exactly
      the same offense in His Dark Materials, albeit he uses fiction to promote
      anti-theism (and anti-Christianity in particular).

      He makes no mention, if I remember correctly, of specific problems he has the
      Chronicles (other than the centaur having two stomachs and needing two
      breatkfasts, one human, one horse, but both eaten with a human mouth) other than
      their, in his view, appalling message. He even states that he writes His Dark
      Materials to oppose the Chronicles. Seems to me to be a rather weak foundation
      for writing a lengthy trilogy. At least the Chronicles all began with an image
      and idea--only later did the theology creep into the work.

      Ted

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
        On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, ted sherman wrote:

        > It's quite clear from the interviews that what Pullman objects to is Lewis's
        > using fiction to promote a Christian philosophy. He states that rather
        > emphatically. What he doesn't state, however, is that he is guilty of exactly
        > the same offense in His Dark Materials, albeit he uses fiction to promote
        > anti-theism (and anti-Christianity in particular).

        In one of the interviews, the interviewer specifically points this out to
        Pullman, who admits it. One can object to Lewis having done this thing
        while still feeling that he had a right to do it, and that, Lewis having
        done it, one may reply in kind. Apart from the merits of the arguments
        themselves, I see nothing offensive in this. It is certainly possible to
        quote Pullman's fiction to show propaganda, but it's equally possible to
        quote Lewis's fiction to the same effect.

        > He even states that he writes His Dark
        > Materials to oppose the Chronicles. Seems to me to be a rather weak foundation
        > for writing a lengthy trilogy.

        So Lewis implies in "On Three Ways of Writing for Children". However,
        the proof of that pudding has to be in the eating. If Pullman's books
        are successful as literature, it doesn't matter why he wrote them.

        > At least the Chronicles all began with an image
        > and idea--only later did the theology creep into the work.

        The theology didn't just "creep" in. Having had his images, Lewis made a
        deliberate and conscious decision to write theology into his fiction. See
        his "past watchful dragons" comment.

        David Bratman
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
          In a message dated 11/1/0 3:51:27 AM, Sophie wrote:

          <<I think Philip(whom I know, though by correspondence rather than in the
          flesh, yet)is very much against the portrayal of girls in the Narnia series,>>

          Pullman's objections to Lewis (as quoted so far) seem to centre on the Narnia
          books, whereas it is Lewis's *adult* fiction that his own work resembles most
          glaringly in style and imagery. Has he ever mentioned Lewis in relation to
          anything other than Narnia? As a number of people have pointed out, _His Dark
          Materials_ isn't really written in the manner of a children's book, and
          doesn't really strike one as an anti-Christian equivalent of Narnia, to be
          read on the same level.
          Alexei
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
            In a message dated 10/31/2000 10:51:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            smasson@... writes:

            << I disliked The Last Battle thoroughly--I
            couldn't have told you why as a child but now I think it was because it
            reminded me of hellfire preachers I had known. It seems to me the least
            childlike and mythical of the series, and I think Philip particularly hates
            that one too. >>

            It's been too long since I last reread the series, but I liked TLB. I took
            comfort from Aslan's claiming of one of the, what were they? the
            pseudo-Saracens... Not just the act itself, but its implications as well.

            Sounds like I should avoid Goldthwaite, and the jury is still out on Pullman.
            On the other hand, there are constantly more and more Redwall books, and I
            can't help but wonder if they are enjoyable.

            I am ploughing through Moon's Deed of Paksennarion (sp) and while it took
            some getting used to, and I personally miss a romantic element, it is
            definitely worth reading, at least so far. There is a wealth more of certain
            details than I can take in, but it still doesn't make it a bad book. Many
            supposedly mythic books leave a gooey taste in the mind, and Paks, while not
            as poetic as I might like, is leaving a clean taste... lol

            Lizzie
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
              In a message dated 11/1/0 5:23:38 PM, David Bratman wrote:

              << However,
              the proof of that pudding has to be in the eating. If Pullman's books
              are successful as literature, it doesn't matter why he wrote them.>>

              I agree, and my objection to the trilogy is not a partisan ideological one,
              but is based on my dissatisfaction with its conclusion, which gave evidence
              of sloppy thinking and evasion of crucial implications of the plot. In an
              interview he gave to Amazon.com, he said that his world-view was basically a
              moral one, that kindness and self-sacrifice were good and cruelty and
              selfishness were evil, regardless of where they were manifested -- that if a
              self-proclaimed religious person is selfish and cruel, their religious
              allegiance doesn't excuse them. This is very easy to accept, and could be the
              basis of a successful fantasy plot (although having *everybody* in the Church
              be evil is stretching credibility a bit -- but that's another story), but
              Pullman then muddies his moral vision. At the beginning, Iorek Byrnison is a
              really powerful image of goodness, and Mrs.Coulter is as ghastly a figure of
              self-centered evil as one might wish for. The problem comes with Lord
              Asriel,whose own cruelty is amply demonstrated at the end of _The Golden
              Compass_, and whose revolt is motivated primarily by his unwillingness to
              recognise an authority higher than his own. However, all those who have had
              reason to resent the Authority flock to his banner and treat him as a heroic
              liberator, even though there is nothing of the "kindness" and altruism in him
              that would make him a "good" character according to Pullman's own terms. His
              "heroism" in his suicidal destruction of the Authority is motivated entirely
              by hate. The plot was leading me to expect Lyra (who has first-hand knowledge
              of his cruelty) to expose her father's true motivations and to establish
              "goodness" on a firmer foundation. But in the end she never even learns of
              her parents' fate (and her father's indifference to her even gets whitewashed
              by a pious lie). Mrs. Coulter is so manipulative in her selfishness that I
              found it impossible to believe in any of her turnarounds, including her
              crucial last one (and I have no idea whether Pullman expected us to). This in
              particular robbed the book of its full final impact.
              Alexei
            • Mary Kay Kare
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                > I am ploughing through Moon's Deed of Paksennarion (sp) and while it took
                > some getting used to, and I personally miss a romantic element, it is
                > definitely worth reading, at least so far. There is a wealth more of certain
                > details than I can take in, but it still doesn't make it a bad book. Many
                > supposedly mythic books leave a gooey taste in the mind, and Paks, while not
                > as poetic as I might like, is leaving a clean taste... lol

                I have to say I thouroughly enjoyed the first half of DoP. But when
                things started getting religious and mystical it became less enjoyable
                for me. I think, however, this is my peculiarity rather than a flaw
                in the writing.

                MKK
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 6, 2000
                  << Somewhere Gene Wolfe was quoted as saying that Tolkien is such a giant for
                  subsequent fantasyists that they must either write in his shadow or in
                  reaction to Tolkien. I'd really love to find the original Gene Wolfe
                  quotation. It seems overstatement from a writer who is probably most
                  influenced by another giant, J.L. Borges, and certainly shows more influence
                  from Dickens and Kipling than Tolkien. So I'd like to see exactly what he
                  said. (Or to know that he was misquoted). >>

                  It's an understandable generalization. One can either write in the
                  orcs-and-elves sort of tradition, or consciously choose not to use any of it.
                  But I'm not sure how things like poetric prophecy, magic swords, and other
                  things that existed before Tolkien, would be classified. Did the quote ever
                  turn up.

                  << By the way, I read Caroline Stevermer's new book, _When the King Comes
                  Home_ and greatly enjoyed it. >>

                  I've not heard of her. What does she write?

                  Lizzie
                • Paul F. Labaki
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2000
                    David Lenander <d-lena@...> wrote:

                    > Somewhere Gene Wolfe was quoted as saying that Tolkien
                    > is such a giant for subsequent fantasyists that they must either write in his
                    > shadow or in reaction to Tolkien. I'd really love to find the original Gene
                    > Wolfe quotation.

                    David Eddings is responsible for the above. It was during an interview that
                    was contained in a Waldenbooks publication that was given to members of some
                    sort of sf readers club, if memory serves.

                    Peace,
                    Paul