Re: [mythsoc] Pullman about Lewis

  • Christine Howlett
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2000
      I agree with you that the Pullman trilogy is definitely NOT written for
      children. Yes, I found myself re-reading sections that seemed complex, and
      there is quite a bit of horrifying action for a child who is even a little
      imaginative. I was quite amazed that they are being marketed and sold as
      kids' books - but the children's section sure is where you find them.
      Fantasy/sci-fi would be MUCH more appropriate!

      I did find the first book quite interesting, the second book left rather a
      bitter taste. It was not altogether suprising that he is anti-religious
      (rather than un-religious, if you will). I really doubt that I will pick up
      the third volume.
      Christine

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2000
        In a message dated 10/31/0 9:25:34 PM, Christine wrote:

        <<I did find the first book quite interesting, the second book left rather a
        bitter taste. It was not altogether suprising that he is anti-religious
        (rather than un-religious, if you will).>>

        I don't think he's anti-religious (at least, I don't think he'd describe
        himself that way) so much as anti-Christian or anti-theist. What bothered me
        most about it is that his views don't seem to be thought through very well;
        they're full of inconsistencies that become more and more jarring as the book
        progresses. Ursula Le Guin's world-view is probably non-Christian to the same
        degree (and essentially non-theistic), yet it's never bothered me because
        it's both consistent and very rich, and it has a balance to it that sees no
        need to attack what it's not. Pullman annoys me in the same way that preachy
        fundamentalist-Christian fantasies a la Frank Peretti irritate me, except
        that luckily he writes a thousand times better, and *does* have much more
        depth.

        << I really doubt that I will pick up
        the third volume.>>

        You should: it has some really wonderful things in it, although, as I said, I
        found the conclusion disappointing.
        Alexei
      • Sophie Masson
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
          I know that Philip thought quite a lot of Peter Goldthwaite's book, The
          Natural History of Make-Believe, which is actually written by a man with a
          Christian point of view, but which is rather scathing about both Tolkien and
          Lewis(but complimentary say about Greene or Collodi). I've bought the book
          and read it; it's interesting and wellwritten though I'm not convinced by
          Goldthwaite's arguments. Basically he doesn't like the idea of sub-creation,
          as Tolkien put it.
          Sophie
          Author site:
          http://www.northnet.com.au/~smasson

          > In a message dated 10/31/0 9:25:34 PM, Christine wrote:
          >
          > <<I did find the first book quite interesting, the second book left rather
          > bitter taste. It was not altogether suprising that he is anti-religious
          > (rather than un-religious, if you will).>>
          >
          > I don't think he's anti-religious (at least, I don't think he'd describe
          > himself that way) so much as anti-Christian or anti-theist. What bothered
          me
          > most about it is that his views don't seem to be thought through very
          well;
          > they're full of inconsistencies that become more and more jarring as the
          book
          > progresses. Ursula Le Guin's world-view is probably non-Christian to the
          same
          > degree (and essentially non-theistic), yet it's never bothered me because
          > it's both consistent and very rich, and it has a balance to it that sees
          no
          > need to attack what it's not. Pullman annoys me in the same way that
          preachy
          > fundamentalist-Christian fantasies a la Frank Peretti irritate me, except
          > that luckily he writes a thousand times better, and *does* have much more
          > depth.
          >
          > << I really doubt that I will pick up
          > the third volume.>>
          >
          > You should: it has some really wonderful things in it, although, as I
          said, I
          > found the conclusion disappointing.
          > Alexei

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
            On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Sophie Masson wrote:

            > I know that Philip thought quite a lot of Peter Goldthwaite's book, The
            > Natural History of Make-Believe, which is actually written by a man with a
            > Christian point of view, but which is rather scathing about both Tolkien and
            > Lewis(but complimentary say about Greene or Collodi). I've bought the book
            > and read it; it's interesting and wellwritten though I'm not convinced by
            > Goldthwaite's arguments. Basically he doesn't like the idea of sub-creation,
            > as Tolkien put it.

            John Goldthwaite. It's a stunning book - stunningly bad, in my opinion.
            His denunciation of Narnia outdoes anything I've seen elsewhere from even
            the most fanatical anti-Narnian, including Pullman. His argument against
            Tolkien's theory of sub-creation is to charge that Tolkien was a bad
            Christian by advancing it, since to subcreate is (Goldthwaite says) to
            imply that there is something insufficient about God's primary creation,
            and thereby to insult God and accuse Him of imperfection.

            Goldthwaite also spends pages upon pages on a bizarre theory of Lewis
            Carroll's writerly motivations that I can't even try to summarize.

            David Bratman