Re: [mythsoc] Pullman about Lewis

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2000
      Mary,

      He's got an axe to grind. Read the interviews. And read those that were published
      in Lion and the Unicorn last year and in Horn Book.

      Ted

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 10/30/00 2:41:50 PM Central Standard Time,
      > tedsherman@... writes:
      >
      > > Oops--forgot to put the URLs in. Here they are:
      >
      > If ever I saw a list of URLs I didn't want to pursue...
      >
      > But it brings up this thought: Why does Pullman talk about Lewis so much?
      > I mean, are the interviewers persistent on this, is he just responding to
      > them - or =is= he wrestling with some kind of grudge/complex/whatever that he
      > can't seem to give up?
      >
      > Mary S

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2000

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2000
          Well, I visited two or three of the URLs Ted gave. Came away fiercely
          irritated, I fear. What =is= this cr*p about the Christian Heaven being a
          sell, because "here and now is all there is, and it's all beautiful and
          wonderful and ecstatic" (approx quote)

          The man should be sentenced to nurse a terminal cancer patient, or live in a
          third-world slum for years, to cure him of producing that sort of nonsense.

          I am trying to re-read vols 1 and 2 and have a reserve at the library on vol
          3, since this trilogy is our BUTTERBUR'S WOODSHED topic for January. But it
          is going to be tough sledding. In fact I just got through the part of vol 1
          in which Mrs Coulter's kidnapping of little children is described - it's
          horrifying - this is not a book to put in any =child's= hands in any event.
          Not that most young children's reading skills are up to it.

          Mary S
        • Christine Howlett
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2000
            I agree with you that the Pullman trilogy is definitely NOT written for
            children. Yes, I found myself re-reading sections that seemed complex, and
            there is quite a bit of horrifying action for a child who is even a little
            imaginative. I was quite amazed that they are being marketed and sold as
            kids' books - but the children's section sure is where you find them.
            Fantasy/sci-fi would be MUCH more appropriate!

            I did find the first book quite interesting, the second book left rather a
            bitter taste. It was not altogether suprising that he is anti-religious
            (rather than un-religious, if you will). I really doubt that I will pick up
            the third volume.
            Christine

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2000
              In a message dated 10/31/0 9:25:34 PM, Christine wrote:

              <<I did find the first book quite interesting, the second book left rather a
              bitter taste. It was not altogether suprising that he is anti-religious
              (rather than un-religious, if you will).>>

              I don't think he's anti-religious (at least, I don't think he'd describe
              himself that way) so much as anti-Christian or anti-theist. What bothered me
              most about it is that his views don't seem to be thought through very well;
              they're full of inconsistencies that become more and more jarring as the book
              progresses. Ursula Le Guin's world-view is probably non-Christian to the same
              degree (and essentially non-theistic), yet it's never bothered me because
              it's both consistent and very rich, and it has a balance to it that sees no
              need to attack what it's not. Pullman annoys me in the same way that preachy
              fundamentalist-Christian fantasies a la Frank Peretti irritate me, except
              that luckily he writes a thousand times better, and *does* have much more
              depth.

              << I really doubt that I will pick up
              the third volume.>>

              You should: it has some really wonderful things in it, although, as I said, I
              found the conclusion disappointing.
              Alexei
            • Sophie Masson
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
                I know that Philip thought quite a lot of Peter Goldthwaite's book, The
                Natural History of Make-Believe, which is actually written by a man with a
                Christian point of view, but which is rather scathing about both Tolkien and
                Lewis(but complimentary say about Greene or Collodi). I've bought the book
                and read it; it's interesting and wellwritten though I'm not convinced by
                Goldthwaite's arguments. Basically he doesn't like the idea of sub-creation,
                as Tolkien put it.
                Sophie
                Author site:
                http://www.northnet.com.au/~smasson

                > In a message dated 10/31/0 9:25:34 PM, Christine wrote:
                >
                > <<I did find the first book quite interesting, the second book left rather
                > bitter taste. It was not altogether suprising that he is anti-religious
                > (rather than un-religious, if you will).>>
                >
                > I don't think he's anti-religious (at least, I don't think he'd describe
                > himself that way) so much as anti-Christian or anti-theist. What bothered
                me
                > most about it is that his views don't seem to be thought through very
                well;
                > they're full of inconsistencies that become more and more jarring as the
                book
                > progresses. Ursula Le Guin's world-view is probably non-Christian to the
                same
                > degree (and essentially non-theistic), yet it's never bothered me because
                > it's both consistent and very rich, and it has a balance to it that sees
                no
                > need to attack what it's not. Pullman annoys me in the same way that
                preachy
                > fundamentalist-Christian fantasies a la Frank Peretti irritate me, except
                > that luckily he writes a thousand times better, and *does* have much more
                > depth.
                >
                > << I really doubt that I will pick up
                > the third volume.>>
                >
                > You should: it has some really wonderful things in it, although, as I
                said, I
                > found the conclusion disappointing.
                > Alexei

              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
                  On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Sophie Masson wrote:

                  > I know that Philip thought quite a lot of Peter Goldthwaite's book, The
                  > Natural History of Make-Believe, which is actually written by a man with a
                  > Christian point of view, but which is rather scathing about both Tolkien and
                  > Lewis(but complimentary say about Greene or Collodi). I've bought the book
                  > and read it; it's interesting and wellwritten though I'm not convinced by
                  > Goldthwaite's arguments. Basically he doesn't like the idea of sub-creation,
                  > as Tolkien put it.

                  John Goldthwaite. It's a stunning book - stunningly bad, in my opinion.
                  His denunciation of Narnia outdoes anything I've seen elsewhere from even
                  the most fanatical anti-Narnian, including Pullman. His argument against
                  Tolkien's theory of sub-creation is to charge that Tolkien was a bad
                  Christian by advancing it, since to subcreate is (Goldthwaite says) to
                  imply that there is something insufficient about God's primary creation,
                  and thereby to insult God and accuse Him of imperfection.

                  Goldthwaite also spends pages upon pages on a bizarre theory of Lewis
                  Carroll's writerly motivations that I can't even try to summarize.

                  David Bratman