Re: [mythsoc] Pullman was Rowling interview

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2000
      In a message dated 10/30/0 3:34:54 AM, Ted Sherman wrote:

      <<She has said repeatedly that she has 7 books
      because Lewis had 7 in the Chronicles, and, unlike Pullman, she has spoken
      rather glowingly of Lewis's influence.>>

      I haven't read any comments by Pullman on Lewis, but if they were wholly
      negative this is ironic, since having just finished _The Amber Spyglass_ I
      found Lewis' influence (in terms of style and imagery, not ideology) on
      Pullman glaringly obvious. Hasn't anyone else noticed how much Mary Malone's
      visit to the world of the _mulefa_ is reminiscent of Ransom's stay on
      Malacandra in _Out of the Silent Planet_? The thrilling way in which the
      villainous characters are imagined is also very Lewis (cf. _That Hideous
      Although there were many wonderful moments in _The Amber Spyglass_, I found
      the conclusion muddled and very disappointing. Lyra never had to take a moral
      stand in relation to her parents at all. The all-important concept of Dust
      was, in the end, incompletely articulated, and the fate of the dead was
      presented in a very confused way. And the idea of a Republic of Heaven is in
      some ways even more dated than that of the Kingdom of Heaven.