Rowling

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2000
      > Message: 4
      > Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:20:59 EST
      > From: Stolzi@...
      > Subject: Rowling interview
      >
      > Thought this was interesting:
      >
      > http://www.bcchristiannews.org/weekly/october00/28/news.html
      >
      > * October 28 * BC Christian News *
      >
      > Harry Potter author confirms she is a Christian

      I read the interview. She indicated, among other things, that immorality
      consisted of not using condoms when fornicating in high school - which
      falls somewhat short of CSL's definitions, that she believes in God
      (like most people, really, and she said nothing about the Bible or the
      creeds that consist Lewis' Mere Christianity), and a real disdain for
      less-educated orthodox Christians (and there have been quite a few who
      have been quite silly in what they've said about the books, and others
      who enjoy them), for whom she used the hate term 'religious right.'

      OTOH, she indicated that her theology, whatever it is, figures in to the
      resolution of the series, which I eagerly await, so that I might read.
      It shall be interesting!

      > Are the Harry Potter books -- a phenomenally successful, and controversial,
      > series about a young wizard who learns magic spells and other tricks of the
      > trade at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry -- the sort of
      > thing Lewis had in mind?

      I think we shall have to await the rest of the books to find out.

      > In addition, Rowling said it should be "blindingly obvious" that her books
      > promote virtue, not evil, and she admitted she has become "impatient" with
      > her critics.

      I understand her impatience, though I wish she could have shown more
      patience, you always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, and
      I agree that her books have a strong moral sense to them. I don't think
      they are anywhere as good as Tolkien, or some other writers, but they
      -are- enjoyable. I own all that have been published so far! :-)