Re: [mythsoc] Rowling interview

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2000
      Yes, but to some of us I think it comes as no surprise. Having just taught the
      first three HP books to my two fantasy lit courses, I think the students
      generally agreed that the books did indeed promote virtue and such old
      fashioned values as honesty, loyalty, trust, faith, friendship, courage,
      bravery, and even sacrifice. She has said repeatedly that she has 7 books
      because Lewis had 7 in the Chronicles, and, unlike Pullman, she has spoken
      rather glowingly of Lewis's influence.

      Ted

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > Thought this was interesting:
      >
      > http://www.bcchristiannews.org/weekly/october00/28/news.html
      >
      > * October 28 * BC Christian News *
      >
      > Harry Potter author confirms she is a Christian
      >
      > C.S. Lewis once said the world did not need more Christian novels; rather,
      > it needed more novels that happened to be written by Christians.
      >
      > Are the Harry Potter books -- a phenomenally successful, and controversial,
      > series about a young wizard who learns magic spells and other tricks of the
      > trade at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry -- the sort of
      > thing Lewis had in mind?
      >
      > Could be. J.K. Rowling, author of the books, came to Vancouver this week
      > and told The Vancouver Sun's Max Wyman that she does not believe in such
      > magic herself, and that, yes, she is a Christian -- "which seems to offend
      > the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God.
      > Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I
      > do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and
      > I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I
      > think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess
      > what's coming in the books."
      >
      > In addition, Rowling said it should be "blindingly obvious" that her books
      > promote virtue, not evil, and she admitted she has become "impatient" with
      > her critics.

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • stephen@stephen.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
        Steve Schaper wrote:
        >I read the interview. She indicated, among other things, that immorality
        >consisted of not using condoms when fornicating in high school

        Not in the Vancouver Sun interview linked from:
        http://www.bcchristiannews.org/weekly/october00/28/news.html
        she did not.

        Did she say this somewhere else?
      • ted sherman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
          I read the review and it said nothing like what is quoted below. Let's be
          sure not to (unintentionally or not) put words into people's mouths.

          Ted