Rowling interview

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2000
      Thought this was interesting:

      http://www.bcchristiannews.org/weekly/october00/28/news.html

      * October 28 * BC Christian News *

      Harry Potter author confirms she is a Christian

      C.S. Lewis once said the world did not need more Christian novels; rather,
      it needed more novels that happened to be written by Christians.

      Are the Harry Potter books -- a phenomenally successful, and controversial,
      series about a young wizard who learns magic spells and other tricks of the
      trade at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry -- the sort of
      thing Lewis had in mind?

      Could be. J.K. Rowling, author of the books, came to Vancouver this week
      and told The Vancouver Sun's Max Wyman that she does not believe in such
      magic herself, and that, yes, she is a Christian -- "which seems to offend
      the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God.
      Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I
      do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and
      I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I
      think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess
      what's coming in the books."

      In addition, Rowling said it should be "blindingly obvious" that her books
      promote virtue, not evil, and she admitted she has become "impatient" with
      her critics.
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2000
        Yes, but to some of us I think it comes as no surprise. Having just taught the
        first three HP books to my two fantasy lit courses, I think the students
        generally agreed that the books did indeed promote virtue and such old
        fashioned values as honesty, loyalty, trust, faith, friendship, courage,
        bravery, and even sacrifice. She has said repeatedly that she has 7 books
        because Lewis had 7 in the Chronicles, and, unlike Pullman, she has spoken
        rather glowingly of Lewis's influence.

        Ted

        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > Thought this was interesting:
        >
        > http://www.bcchristiannews.org/weekly/october00/28/news.html
        >
        > * October 28 * BC Christian News *
        >
        > Harry Potter author confirms she is a Christian
        >
        > C.S. Lewis once said the world did not need more Christian novels; rather,
        > it needed more novels that happened to be written by Christians.
        >
        > Are the Harry Potter books -- a phenomenally successful, and controversial,
        > series about a young wizard who learns magic spells and other tricks of the
        > trade at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry -- the sort of
        > thing Lewis had in mind?
        >
        > Could be. J.K. Rowling, author of the books, came to Vancouver this week
        > and told The Vancouver Sun's Max Wyman that she does not believe in such
        > magic herself, and that, yes, she is a Christian -- "which seems to offend
        > the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God.
        > Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I
        > do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and
        > I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I
        > think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess
        > what's coming in the books."
        >
        > In addition, Rowling said it should be "blindingly obvious" that her books
        > promote virtue, not evil, and she admitted she has become "impatient" with
        > her critics.

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • stephen@stephen.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
          Steve Schaper wrote:
          >I read the interview. She indicated, among other things, that immorality
          >consisted of not using condoms when fornicating in high school

          Not in the Vancouver Sun interview linked from:
          http://www.bcchristiannews.org/weekly/october00/28/news.html
          she did not.

          Did she say this somewhere else?
        • ted sherman
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
            I read the review and it said nothing like what is quoted below. Let's be
            sure not to (unintentionally or not) put words into people's mouths.

            Ted