Re: [mythsoc] Re:Literature vs SF

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2000
      In a message dated 10/28/00 11:37:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
      tgshaw@... writes:

      > mostly because I usually don't
      > enjoy "children's" fantasy too much

      Pullman's trilogy is not for children, at least not little ones. Young Adult
      is more the mark. And the writing would be first-rate for adult fiction.

      It's his world-view that gets =me= down. I loved GOLDEN COMPASS and loved
      it, when I didn't quite see what he was about, was less happy with SUBTLE
      KNIFE, and am now waiting for AMBER SPYGLASS to reach me on library reserve,
      to read the whole thing before forming any final judgments.

      Gotta take a detour first, though and read DRACULA again. Today we went to
      the Nashville Ballet's presentation of the story as part of the season of
      Nashville Children's Theatre. I didn't think it was really the thing for the
      tiny tots, but =we= enjoyed it, quite a good ballet. So did our friend Ruby
      (whom some of you know from Milwaukee Mythcon) and her teen daughter and the
      daughter's friend, who is a Goth. Just for the heck of it we all dressed to
      suit the event. Con in his tuxedo and a pair of dimestore fangs - the rest
      of us in black dresses and crosses, except the Goth girl who wore an ankh.
      Ruby had a paste-on diamond "stud" on her nose - small but tasteful.

      Afterwards we went to Orthodox Vespers (experience the church of Dracula!)
      and the girl had to tour our little graveyard up the hill.

      Mary S