Re:Literature vs SF

  • wyspergrove@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2000
      Speaking of mainstream SF bestsellers, have you read a book entitled
      "Darwin's Radio"? (I believe it was written by Greg Bear, but I am not sure
      on that name.) I am not that familiar with genetics, and it had some very
      "seemingly odd" material.

      Kat
      "Aredhel Telëpwen"

      Currently reading: "The Annuals of Fairyland During the Reign of King Herla."
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2000
        I have "Darwin's Radio" sitting here waiting to be read, but haven't gotten
        to it yet. Thanks for reminding me. Along the same line, I haven't been in
        too big of a hurry to read Pullman's series (mostly because I usually don't
        enjoy "children's" fantasy too much), but the praise it's received from this
        list is changing my mind.

        -- Trudy

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2000
          In a message dated 10/28/00 11:37:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
          tgshaw@... writes:

          > mostly because I usually don't
          > enjoy "children's" fantasy too much

          Pullman's trilogy is not for children, at least not little ones. Young Adult
          is more the mark. And the writing would be first-rate for adult fiction.

          It's his world-view that gets =me= down. I loved GOLDEN COMPASS and loved
          it, when I didn't quite see what he was about, was less happy with SUBTLE
          KNIFE, and am now waiting for AMBER SPYGLASS to reach me on library reserve,
          to read the whole thing before forming any final judgments.

          Gotta take a detour first, though and read DRACULA again. Today we went to
          the Nashville Ballet's presentation of the story as part of the season of
          Nashville Children's Theatre. I didn't think it was really the thing for the
          tiny tots, but =we= enjoyed it, quite a good ballet. So did our friend Ruby
          (whom some of you know from Milwaukee Mythcon) and her teen daughter and the
          daughter's friend, who is a Goth. Just for the heck of it we all dressed to
          suit the event. Con in his tuxedo and a pair of dimestore fangs - the rest
          of us in black dresses and crosses, except the Goth girl who wore an ankh.
          Ruby had a paste-on diamond "stud" on her nose - small but tasteful.

          Afterwards we went to Orthodox Vespers (experience the church of Dracula!)
          and the girl had to tour our little graveyard up the hill.

          Mary S