Re: [mythsoc] LoTR in the canon

  • jen stevens
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2000
      At 12:44 PM 10/23/2000 PDT, Kati wrote:

      >Jen, I would however disagree that New Historicism doesn't lend itself well
      >to Tolkien's LoTR. Almost ever person I've talked to (in my circle of
      >friends) say that when they read LoTR they immediately thought that it was
      >in some way influenced by WWI and WWII. Regardless of what Tolkien himself
      >stated, this is an avenue of exploration easily backed up by Saussure (sp?)
      >and New Historicist critics.

      Actually, I'm very glad to hear that and happy to be wrong. I think that in
      retrospect, it wasn't the best school of criticism to use as an example. If
      anything, I think I was thinking more of the New Critics (and their
      literary preferences). But I'm likely wrong there too. Hope that your paper
      goes well!

      - jen stevens